UTI Not Going Away After 2 Rounds of Antibiotics

Posted , 12 users are following.

So on Dec. 1 I went to urgent care w/ UTI symptoms, they did a culture and I had an UTI from e coli. They put me on 7 days of antibiotics. Exactly 2 weeks later I started feeling mostly just an urgency to go, went to urgen care (on the weekend) and they tested it. Sure enough, UTI. The dr. put me on 5 days of Cipro and that I needed to follow up with my dr. On the 5th day, saw my dr. and they tested me. Nitrites was negative, but leukolytes were positive. She added another 5 days of Cipro. On the last few days of my cipro, I tested it on over-the-counter UTI test strips. They were negative for both, however after 24 hours off antibiotics, sure enough I tested positive for leukolytes and a few bacteria at the dr. office. They didn't prescribe me anymore antibiotics until they culture it, which will take about 2 days. Has this happened, where as soon as you go off the antibiotics it starts coming back? How can you get rid of it?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I wish I had an answer for you. I developed UTI back in March when a catheter was utilized during my 10-day hospital stay. Anyway, UTI symptoms appeared so I was prescribed an antibiotic.

I did not follow the prescribed method of taking them so I am where I am now. Continuously having cloudy urine, foul-smelling urine, frequent urge to urinate, back pain, stomach pain (all the classic symptoms of UTI).

Another round of antibiotics completed but all symptoms still present but pain while urinating has reached a higher level.

I now fear the infection has reached my kidneys (7 continuous months w/UTI). I'm 66 and have type 2 diabetes and I can also aneamic.

• Posted

That is possible to happen, antibiotics must be taken often, but they are not prescribed for a long time as to the effects they cause to the heart and blood flow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.