UTI only or kidney infection?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a UTI and have been on antibiotics for 4 days. Last night I had fever, hot flashes then chills and a bad headache and nausea. I had sharp pains in my sides around my mid section or love handles area. Lower back pain and now upper middle back pain. Anyone have these symptoms from just a UTI on antibiotics for 4 days? Is it a kidney infection? Calling the dr in the morning because its Sunday today. Just wanted to hear what people had to say.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I would go to the ER if I had those symptoms.  They are not typical UTI symptoms in my experience.
  • Posted

This sounds like a kidney infection.. you should get seen ASAP
  • Posted

I'm going to wait I think until the morning. My dr will get me in immediately. My culture comes in tomorrow. As of right now I dont have a fever and my headache and nausea are gone after I took a pain pill. I still feel run down and have an ache in my side and back. It seems like things always intensify for me at night though. I'll see how it goes. My husband will be home at midnight and if i feel like I need to go to the ER I'll go then. I appreciate your replies.

• Posted

Hi Timmie,

Just to say all antibiotics are not made equal.  It would help in these discussions if you could say which AB you were given.

For example some people are allergic to Trimethoprim (Bactrim?) because of the sulphur in it while others can not tolerate Nitrofurantoin (Macrobid?).  Cipro is one to really avoid and the FDA said it should no longer be used for UTIs a couple of years ago.

Always get a culture done (I see you did) and always check with your doctor if you get back/kidney pain - I see you're going today.  OK, I hope he sorts you out with the correct medication.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Miriam. I'm taking Bactrim. Have never had a problem with sulfa before and this isn't like an allergy. Yes I'm calling my dr in 30 min to get in today. I feel like everything is going haywire😕Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

Timmie, I have had a bad reaction to Bactrim too, and it didn't happen until the 3rd time on it.  I asked a doctor if this was possible (to be ok the first couple times and then have a reaction), and they said 'yes'.   I've been on several different antibiotics and Bactrim was the only one to give me a problem.  Also, it never was successful in getting rid of the UTI.  I like something stronger like a Cephalosporin.  My success was with Ceftin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.