UTi or????? Help!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Assumed uti because of symptoms . 3 days bacteria . Got a little better end antibiotics. Took a urine test contaminated . Still have pain. Blood in urine (I think) but not as bad. How long do symptoms last after taking last antibiotic dose

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Carol

If your symptoms haven't cleared I would go back to Doctor.   They will know what infection you have from your urine test and will probably give you stronger antibiotics.   It frequently takes 2 or even 3 courses to completely clear these kind of infections.   You will probably be asked to take another urine test.

Speak to your  Dr's receptionist.   Mine  arranged for  Dr to phone me.(He didn't need to see me as I had already seen him)  and then I picked up a different prescription at reception.

Good luck and hopefully you will be clear soon.

• Posted

I finished my antviotics on Sunday Monday morning went to take a urine test. Which ended up being contaminated too. Saw the doctor who told me the antibiotics worked fine and I need to give it a couple days for ALL symptoms to go away. This was My first UTI ever. I'm not sexually active. The symptoms I had were fullness bladder leakage. Pain in the pelvic region Adter urinatiñg slow stream slow start to empty bladder. About the third day i starred feeling better. But it's the 4 say and I still have urine leakage etc. And he will not give me more antibiotics and told me I had to be catheterized to get a sample this time if I want and off antibiotic it's hard because never having one. I don't know what to expect. They sent the urine off for culture. We can though it was contaminated with skin cells. I just don't k ow how long after I should expect these symptoms. They aren't bad. Just moew annoyinf because I want it over. I go out of state on Friday and want it gone. Help. How long should it take to fully recover. He said moew than likely the antibiotics took care of the infection this being my first and not sexually active I just don't know how he would know that

• Posted

Did your doctor send a culture of at your first visit, or the second.  If it was only after your second visit, then he/she was negligent, as there's no certainty you were being treated for the organism causing your infection.

How many days of antibiotic treatment, which antibiotic and in what dosage were prescribed, and did you take the full course?

About two months ago, I had a UTI, my first, and I was put on a treatment of ciprofloaxin.  They also took a urine sample, and sent it to the lab.  They called me back two days later to tell me that the infection was from a bacteria that the ciprofloaxin should clear up.  I finished the the medication, and I've been fine since then.

• Posted

Well first time the urine test was contaminated. So they gave me generic bactrim for 3 days 2 pills a day. Then I took another urine test and it was contaminated too. That's when the doc told me he was sure it got it all. And honestly it is getting better everyday. I just thought when antiviotixs were done that the infection should clear UI p and symptoms go away. Maybe I'm assuming it too fast. I'm leaving in vacation Thursday so I just want to make sure it's gone. Plus my second released me to have sex with my bf so I dunno. I wanna be able to do that too. So I want it gone. He said as long as I pee before and after it should be fine. But right now the thought of sex isn't appealing because I think it hurts. It's still sore down there

• Posted

More info. I started feeling like I had a UTi even though I've never hadnone. I never had pain while urinaribg though. I went to the doc and she sent me to get urine sample. I did and it was contaminated but symptoms she gave me bacteria 2 pills a day for 3 days. Finally on last day of pills I for SOME relief. Went over yesterday morning. ave another urine sample. And it was contaminated too. Talked with doctor told him it has gotten better but wasn't sure how long it should take to be completely fine. He said he was sure it was gone. Since it was my first one and antibiotics were strong. I left thinking he was right. Today I still have difficulty getting started urinating I have a little blood in my urine. I have clitoral/urethral pain, urine leakage and lower abdomen twinges. Which tells me it's NOT better. It's not Nearly as a bad. In fact a lot better than it was but still I don't think it's gone but I don't k ow because I've never had one and don't K now what to expect. How long after antibiotics should I still have symptoms. ? He said that he wouldn't give me any more antibiotics because I can't seem to do a urine test right. He said since we don't know what kind of bacteria it is, since I can't do the urine test to get a clean sample my only option was to be catheterized. He still thinks it will go away and I don't want to be catheterized. So I don't know what to do. I'm scared. We don't have doctors you can get in and see. I just don't know what to do. No one will help me. And I don't know what to expect. I still have difficulty starting urine stream, leakage, blood in urine, clitoral/urethral pain, and alight twinges in my lower belly and vafinal area but Nothing lime it was before. I don't know what to do sad. I'm leaving the state friday. Someone help

• Posted

I realise now you probably live in USA and it has made me see how different it is to the UK.   I'm so shocked a Dr won't see you.  I have had pain with no infection showing and I would have been horrified if i'd been told I was ok when I  know I most certainly wasn't.

One thing you have to do is drink a lot of water and I do mean a lot.    I've got a few drinks that help to make me go.    If your bladder isn't hurting, I would put lemon juice in water and drink that.  

If you bladder is sore, then put some basil leaves in a mug of hot water.     You can also use nettle tea or dandelion tea.    I also empty 2 marshmallow root capsules into a mug of water and drink that.    I find all of the above improve my flow a lot. 

That certainly won't help your other symptoms but it could help flush out the bacteria and hopefully make you go to the toilet which is so important.

If you have already drank say a litre of water and can't go to toilet then unfortunately you are going to have to seek further medical help.

When I had cystitis I was scared to go to the toilet becasue it hurt, and I was holding it in involuntarily but taking the above did help me.

My urine flow is still slow unless I take the above drinks, then it seems to come out normally.  I don't understand it and neither does the Doctor but i'm just grateful to be out of pain.

I'm so sorry to hear of your problem.    What a terrible way to treat you.

• Posted

I've grown up with uti and your symptoms should have went away after the first two days of taking your meds. Go back in to doctor. Uti are miserable.

• Posted

Doctor won't see me anymore. Says I'm fine. Guess I'll have to go to the ER. I just don't know apparently how to take urine test without sceewing it up sad

• Posted

After writing to every doc imaginable. My op primary care provider called and made an appt for this afternoon. I drink a ton of water. That's all I drink all say. And i pee all day too. Not as much as the beginning of the uti when I had to go all the time. Plus I started taking probiotics with prebiotics and cranberry.

• Posted

I'm so glad you have an appointment. I hope you get this fixed asap.  It's a horrible thing to have.    I take a probiotic and a fish oil.  Once you have had one of these "attacks" you have great sympathy with anyone who gets one. 

• Posted

Hi, just going by my own experience, I initially went to the doctor only because of blood in the urine...Came back as a UTI had 2 different antibiotics as the first one didn't work...2nd one started working for about 4 days then symptoms came back...went back to the doctors but no trace of infection this time?! What?! So now it's been 2 weeks since that last urine sample was tested and I still have bladder fullness and pelvic discomfort at times....all up been 4 weeks since very first doc visit with symptoms sad over it! I have another app today and am asking for a referral to a urologist! Hope you feel better soonsmile

• Posted

I feel better. I can pee normally and have just a little discomfort after. The clitoral/urethral pain and sensitivity seems to be going away. The only thing is I'm tender and sire down below like I've worked out too hard or something. Im going to the doc in an hour. Will update then.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.