Uti or what

Posted , 2 users are following.

i dont know what is going on now. i have AV and was also had BV back a five months ago. Ive had recently some burning and redeness below. My urthea area and vagina feels sore but after i pee I dont burn but at times i have some spasms in the neck of my urethea. Can someone help me please with this. Is this BV again or what? thank you!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

If you have AV it's likely caused by dryness. I had a bad bout with yeast and BV that just wouldn't clear up.. found out I have AV and dryness was the issue. Also the urinary issues, feeling like I had to go but didnt, burning, feeling like rock was in my urethra.. just all around discomfort. I tried over the counter moisturizers, lubes, etc and nothing worked. Finally went back to my gyno in tears and she put me on a vaginal hormone, Estrace Cream. It took a while to work but I'm back to as normal as possible. Still have flair ups but not near as bad. She explained to me that our bladders depend on estrogen and this is a common problem during menopause. I can't take oral hormones and very little if any gets in your system with the vaginal cream. There is also a tiny "pill" pessary called Vagifem that does the same thing. I like the cream bc you can smear it on your outer lady bits and around your urethra. I'd talk to your doc about something bc AV only gets worse. In the meantime try coconut oil, its a natural antibacterial and great moisturizer. Make sure it's the pure unrefined oil. Keep it in the fridge and take a chunk out and insert it with your finger or applicator if you have one and smear it around the outer bits too.

Hope this helps since we're all a bit different!

• Posted

Ive only been on PREMARIN for only two weeks. I did have a UTI,taking bacterum ds for that and it has helped the spasms a lot. I know I have AV and i have a few questions about it. Ive not had a period in 16 years and now post men., now., so is AV causing me to have redness and soreness around my vagina and urethea area? At times it feels like i am sitting on my urethea and i have the urges to pee at times. My urogyno doc., gave me a pelvic and no prolaspe of uterus or bladder. Done a wet test and I had AV., which i dont understand because I dont have the fishy odor. So, ls the AV CAUSING THIS DISCOMFORT or what? How long does the cream start working? thank you

• Posted

AV typically doesn't cause odor unless you have an infection like BV.

The dryness caused by hormone loss is very very uncomfortable, at least for me. It can cause redness and irritation. Unfortunately I do have bladder prolapse due to having a hysterectomy (kept my ovaries) in my early 30's. It's been well over 20 years since I've had a period.

When I had BV I had no odor either, just very painful with discharge.

If you're on oral hormones I'm not sure if theyll give you a vaginal hormone too. I'm not familiar with oral hormones bc I cant take them so I can't speak on the do's and don'ts of them. The Estrace cream I use took about a month or so to notice a difference, but it was soothing. What it does is feed the hormones directly to the vagina instead of going through your blood stream. With AV your tissues get thin and brittle which in turn gets dry and collapses for lack of a better term. The cream repairs to a certain extent, but puts moisture back in the tissues making it much more comfortable to sit. It's also really important to do kegel exercises to build up the muscle tone in the vagina and pelvic muscles. I used 1 gram a night for 2 weeks, then 1 gram 2 times a week for about a month, now I'm down to a half gram 2 times a week, but my doc told me to use as much or as little as I need it. I have flair ups from time to time but they only last a couple hours to maybe a day and aren't as severe. For the most part I'm back to feeling "normal", if there is such a thing during menopause. But again, AV can cause redness and irritation, pain, bladder issues, dryness, itching, etc. I have no idea if the Premarin works for AV or not, but if you're not getting any relief I'd have a talk with your doc and see if there's another option.

• Posted

Im sorry, I meant is this BV than instead of AV. Im using Premarin cream now for two weeks nightly on my outer parts. I dont have no fishy odor but Ive noticed Im having some more discharge in the vagina. Is this caused my the hormone cream? I dont have itching either

• Posted

I don't really have a discharge per say but it's more moisture.. now on the nights I use the cream it leaks out the next morning and into the day and it could be mistaken for discharge bc it does not fully soak in.. I didn't realize the Premarin your using was cream, I mistakenly thought it was a pill, my apologies! Are you using it internally as well or just on your outer bits? I'm no expert or doctor but I'm assuming even just using it on the outer areas you'll get an effect in the vagina also. If you have no symptoms but a discharge with no odor or itching it's likely from the hormone giving you your natural moisture back. Maybe call your doc or pharmacist and ask if its bothersome. For me the more moisture the better I feel.

• Posted

yes, I am using it on my outer parts, urethea and vagina like the doctor said. How long will it take effect on the urethea side? Im so tired of the irriation and sorness around that area. At times i feel like using the bathroom again when i emptied my bladder. I did have a uti last week but Im getting better. Tomorrow will be two weeks since Ive started the cream Permarin. I see my doctor next week. I just hope I dont have BV again. My husband and I doesnt have sex so Iassume it is caused by my vagina inside changing. thank you for helping me some

• Posted

Every one reacts differently, but it takes time to work. Some see a difference faster than others. It took about a month before I got noticeable relief. I'd have to research the cream you use to compare it to what I use since I'm not too familiar with it.

Always wipe from front to back after using the bathroom, since you have a lot of irritation you may want to pat dry instead of wiping. You can also use a squirt bottle and rinse off then pat dry. You may need to retrain your bladder for the frequent and urgent feeling of needing to go. I had to do this also and the way to do it is don't give in and just go sit until a dribble comes out, wait until your bladder is full as a hard as that might be. After you're done peeing while sitting lean forward allowing your stomach to push on your legs, this will help squeeze out the last bit in your bladder.

It's a tedious and slow process getting AV under control. Stick with it though. It will work out. You might benefit from getting pelvic floor physical therapy, that's how I learned all the info I've been passing along.

I hope you get relief soon.. I know how frustrating it is.

• Posted

thank you...... Ive used the permarin cream for two weeks now. Should I go three times a week now?

• Posted

That would be up to you and your doctor. I don't know much about that med. My particular cream I can use as much or as little as I need. Yours might be stronger, I'm not really sure.

Two weeks is still a very short time, it may take a few more weeks before you see significant improvement. As I said it was about a month for me, and then with continued use it kept improving.

A few other things I forgot to mention that will likely help.. do not use scented toilet paper, refrain from using soap, the vagina is self cleaning so to speak and soap can and will throw off your pH, warm water is enough. Don't use fabric softener on your panties when you wash them. Use a detergent like Tide free and clear, something that's gentle, I use detergent that's made for babies and their sensitive skin.

Most importantly make sure you tell your doc all your issues and discuss different types of treatments, if this one isn't working. There isn't a one size fits all treatment since we're all different unfortunately.

Keep your chin up, once you get the right treatment and give it time, I promise it'll work and you'll feel better!

• Edited

since i was told last year about my Av, Ive been doing all the things you have mentioned about. I would surely have a fit if I used soap down there. Thank you for responding to all my questions.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.