UTI’S

Posted , 6 users are following.

Having frequent UTI’s. Does anyone experience this problem?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

Yes!  After marrying, the doctor  called it honeymoon cystitis but the infections went on for many years. Then menopause and doctor said it was from a lack of estrogen.  It just seems like once it starts, life is never the same unless you can beat it.. and it's not easy.  Try to find a good doctor.

• Posted

The doc has me on Estrase once a week. He said to take 1 cranberry pill a day because any more than that is not necessary, but that has not helped. I bought AZO today and am taking the recommend 2 a day.  Been trying to drink more water but that is difficult for me. I’m doing better than I was but I know it isn’t enough. Going to have to go back to the doc I guess. Getting frustrated and worried. 
    • Posted

Are you using the Estrace cream?  You need to use it more than once a week.  I use it 3x a week and put it on the exterior with just a little inside using the finger.  
    • Posted

Yes, cream. I insert 1 gram. I considered increasing. Maybe I’ll try 3. Is there any way to get rid of it in the early stages on my own without going in for an antibiotic?
    • Posted

I started out using estrogen inserted vaginally using the plunger.  My new urologist told me to use what is called the 'fingertip method'.  You spread the cream on the outside (urethra, etc.) and just push a little up the vagina with your finger.   It's the exterior tissues that need to be replenished with estrogen.  When they get thin, they allow the bacteria in.  There was research done on this exterior method.  I don't think we are permitted to put up links here, so I can't provide you one.

As far as getting rid of a UTI in the early stages without an antibiotic, there are people here that claim they were able to using D-Mannose.    I went on prophylactic broad spectrum antibiotic for several months and that kicked it for me....at least temporarily.  I'm 3 months without an infection, and for me that is a record.  I was getting them 3 days after I finished an antibiotic.  This went on for almost a year.  I'm constantly anxious I get one again any day.  I do not want to go on antibiotics again.

• Posted

I will definitely try your method with the Estrace. What is D-Mannose?  Is that something OTC?  I don’t know how you have gone on so long having UTI’s so often. I’m good for about a week after I finish Macrobid. Then like you, I’m anxious wondering if I’ll get another one. 
    • Posted

Google D-Mannose.  It is OTC, but I think mostly you have to order it off the internet.  UK people are really sold on it.  I am assuming you are not in the UK?  I'm in USA.  It's not very popular here.  It is somewhat like a Cranberry supplement.   Same principle as in it 'grabs' the e-coli.  My feeling is that if it is the wonder pill so many claim, nobody would be taking antibiotics.

So, DJS, are you saying that you get your UTI about a week after finishing your antibiotic?  How many UTI's have you had within the last year?

Everyone's reason for getting them is different, but my theory is that after taking antibiotics a few 'persisters' are left behind and they multiply and soon start another infection. 

Also, with respect to the estrogen cream, it takes several months of regular use before the tissues are replenished.   It's not a quick fix.

• Posted

Ohhhh no wonder.  I use the cream, and d Mannose.  Good advice!  Thank you.  I’ll keep up all the remedies 
    • Posted

Yes, I’m in the US. I had a couple UTI’s in the beginning of the year. I have a history of hematuria so my doc sent me to a urologist.  He thought I wasn’t given the Macrobid long enough to kill all of the bacteria.  So the first of April he put me on Macrobid for 2 months. I finished it the first of June having had no problems with a UTI. Then I got 1 in July and every month since. It averages about 1-2 weeks between the time I finish the antibiotic and a new UTI comes along. What antibiotics have you taken? 
    • Posted

So d-mannose works for you?  Are you in the UK or do you order on line?
    • Posted

I'm in the USA.  I've never tried D-Mannose.   I just don't buy into the hype.  Besides, it causes diarrhea.  I have been on Bactrim, Nitrofurantoin, Augmentin, Keflex, and Ceftin.   Ceftin I was on 250mg twice a day for about 3 months.  

Is yours E-coli?  D-Mannose only works for that.  

Does your Urologist have any idea why you are getting the UTI's?  I don't know any doctor knows why.  

• Posted

I’ve been told a couple of times it’s e.coli but I don’t  know if it’s been every time.   I haven’t seen my doc since June. If I feel a UTI coming on I call the nurse and ask for a urine test at the lab. It takes 24-48 hours to get the results back. Usually closer to 48.  She calls me back with a script. I’m surprised the doc hasn’t called me in.  But if I can’t get this cleared up on my own I’m making an appt.  I’m worried he’ll do a cystoscopy and I’d like to avoid that if possible!
    • Posted

I have the same protocol.  I have a prescription that I can make copies of.  I can take to the local lab (LabCorp in my case) to get a culture.  Yes it takes 48 hours and sometimes more for them to run the sensitivity test to see which antibiotics are going to be appropriate for the bacteria killed.  In my case, I have an account at the labs (and hospital) so I can see my results. 

My personal opinon is that the cystoscopy results are usually negative for us women with recurring uti's.  In my case, I got the ultrasound first that was ok and then later I ended up (resisting) but getting a uro-ct scan.   The cystoscopy itself is known to bring on a UTI.

I have read reports on here where some women have gotten 2-3 Cystoscopies.  Really, there isn't much more a Urologist can do for us that a PCP can't do.   

• Posted

Did you buy on line?  How frequent were your UTI’s?  Do doctors approve d-mannose?
    • Posted

Hi, I buy it on line, I really have found that it helps.
    • Posted

My GP knows that I take it, I also take 2000mg cranberry tablets and also probiotics, she hasn't suggested that I stop taking them she is very open minded about these things, she would say if they were bad for me.

Phoebe

• Posted

You are right Marilee.  I had a cystoscope last year and afterwards got yet another uti.  I have had three cystoscopes  done over the years.  But I always eventually  end up back on antibiotics.  I have tried and  Dmannose worked for me but only the powder.  I was always mixing 4-5 times a day (a nuisance counting hours etc).  But I  felt much relief & quite good.  Then after over four months of daily mixing & costing $200 @ $25 a bag for powder  dmannose, uti got me again and dmannose did not cure it even after taking a teaspoon of dmannose every other hour for 48 hours!  Back on antibiotics was so disappointingsad  Half a bag of dmannose  is in my cupboard now and I'm only using estrace cream and just finished macrobid a month ago.  Fingers crossed!  I am amazed that a teaspoon a day of dmannose  works for some women.  They are very fortunate.  I am ordering a new on the market cranberry supplement the urologist told me about. It's $45 for a 30 day supply and worth a try!   Uti has altered my life in so many ways especially affecting my career and finances.  But the pain is the worst!  

• Posted

Is it ellura Lina?  I take that, plus a cran supplement, plus two different probiotics.  None of this worked, but I keep taking it.
    • Posted

Yes, Ellura.  And I take a probiotic 50 billion.  The pharmacy said probiotics is useless & no scientific backup.  

A friend started drinking apple cider vinegar every day.  I haven't talked to her recently but she was doing cranberry juice mixed with the vinegar plus a woman's probiotic.  

So far macrobid worked and I haven't taken that in the past.  Cipro and Bactrim do not work anymore. Hope you get relief soon.

• Posted

I’m back!  The doc put me on Keflex again today. The nurse is going to talk to him to see what they need to do to stop, or at least slow these down.  She mentioned a cystoscopy. How did you do with that?  Was it painful?  How long did it take?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.