Uti's and a suspected kidney stone ,

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have had symptoms of uti recently relieved by antibiotics , an ultra sound has shown I may have a kidney stone , anyone else had these symptoms at all and if so did you have the stone removed ?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

I am 36, a male of South Asian region. I was having yellow urine for quite sometime (since 2011) and had gone to the doctors who said I am okay. The around March last year I had a bout of hematuria. Just once. Then again a number of times in April. Went to the docs. Had ultrasound. Did not find stones there. Had several other tests and it was ascertained in the phase contrast microscopy that my blood was coming from the lower urinary tract. A few days later the red blood cells stopped. Initially I felt like something was pressing down on my groin and testicles. Later I began to feel pain like I have a steel button pressing down on my abdomen. This continued for a three weeks. I had gone to another doctor who prescribed me anxiety medicines.

Finally around first week of August I passed a three millimetre stone with sharp edges. I showed it to the doctors who did not seem very bothered. I have passed very little black specks since. I have increased my water intake from 1.5 to 3.5 litres now. Also, I am walking around two to three kilometres everyday in order to be active. Also I do not drink tea, coffee, carbonated drinks along with food that has excess salt and sugar.

If your stone has been detected then it must be more than 3 millimeters. If it is more than 5, there will be issues with it passing. Then it would either need to be removed or be crushed. If it starts to move, you will feel a pain like no other.

As for the doctors, please prod and ask for as much info as you can get. I have had very bad experiences with them.

Please let me know if I can help you further. Thanks

• Posted

I have got two small kidney stones one 3mm and one 4mm and a small benign turmour found when I had ultrasound.  My problem is dip test always bfind leucocytes, protein and bloodin urine culture came neg no antiobiotics taken.  I also had problem with post micturition and burning pain like urine infection.  I am having a ct scan to find exactly where the kidney stones are situated and their exact and a cystoscopy soon and then he will decide what to do with kidney stones. Consultant does not seem too bothered and he said probably will not do anything.  He said the tumour is benign and will not grow in post menopausal women.  I will let you know about the kidney stones.  Mine was found by chance they do not cause me any pain. You are not sure whether they have a kidney stone.  What does he say in the report?
    • Posted

Hi Maria I had a scan , an X-ray and a cystoscopy the radiologist who did the scan has written ? Kidney stone in the left kidney and I'm to have a further x Ray using dye to outline my kidneys etc . I suspect they will not do anything with my stone either however like you the symptoms of recurrent cystitis /uti are troublesome at times. Thank you .

• Posted

Hi Caroline

I do suffer from atrophy vaginitis as well and one of the symptoms is like urine infection.  My concern is blood in the urine with no infection present.  Am having the ct scan on friday. Pl what is the cystoscopy like is it painful I am dreading it?

• Posted

Honestly Maria nothing to it not painful or uncomfortable at all , bit undignified but it's over in minutes , nothing to worry about Maria .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.