UTI's and PMR, I don't know what to do, please help!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Since I've had PMR 1 /2 years ago I have have so many UTI's.  I'm down to 5 mg. and have not had an infection for almost 3 months (hurray), but it began again recently and I have all of the signs of which I'm very familiar with.  I had a UA, they prescribed microbid 100 mg. BID for 5 days without results, and they said the culture did not show infection!!!  I had another repeat UA and all it showed was white blood cells, and theyi're doing another culture.  My urine is very cloudy, bad odor, and I don't know what is going on.  I will see the urologist end of this month,   I need to stay VERY close to the loo! AND just before I go on a 2 week, so I doubt if they will be able to get the culture before I travel. trip.  Does any other PMRers have similar problems?  What could this be?  It is VERY uncomfortable, inconvenient, and several clothes changes.

Thanks for any help at all.  I haven't been jumping in with replies to other comments since I've had nothing to add, but I follow this site and have learned so much.     Elinor

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I am sure Eileen will know the answer to this, and a quick google didn't lead me to a reference - don't have time right now - but I'm sure I read a few months ago that sometimes people with PMR show symptoms of a uti, but actually do not have any infection. 

• Posted

You sound just like on of my mates, finally she asked to be referred to a Urologist. Had one appointment and it was sorted out.  Now 9 months down the line, no UTI's.

You could try this, 1 level teaspoon of Bicarb in as little water as possible.  Repeat 2 hours later and see if it subsides and disappears.   First thing I use.

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies.  I am trying the bicarb now and will repeat in 2 hours.  All suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    • Posted

I did try your suggestion last PM, no results.  Thanks anyway, and I'm glad it worked for you!

• Posted

Interesting. I just had the same thing happen, just before the PMR diagnosis. All the signs but no infection. I took a few large doses of powdered Vit C and drank lots of water and it passed. Good luck
  • Posted

It is not uncommon for PMR to be accompanied by irritable bladder syndrome and pred sometimes makes it worse. You get all the signs and symptoms of a UTI but there is no positive culture result. I had exactly the same but only rarely was it an infection. This is why I always ask if the "infection" has been confirmed with a culture. But whether it is an infection or not - if it happens more than  a couple of times, you need an expert urologist, not a GP.

In my case it was compounded by a mechanical problem - a very narrow urethra and what was probably happening was that the bladder wasn't emptying properly, leaving stale urine to fester. I had a cystoscopy to rule out any other nasties and a urethral stretch and the problem disappeared for nearly 10 years. Another cystoscopy and stretch, same again. Now 5 years into the next post cystoscopy period.

• Posted

Thanks Eileen for your informative reply.  I have been going to my urologist for several years, he leans toward  female urology.  I do not empty my bladder, I have had urethral dilation& cystoscopoies.  He doesn't like to give me anything like oxybutin or detrol medications due to the fact that I don't empty my bladder.  I have taken so many antibiotics for UTI's this past couple of years, even went  for IV treatment for a week to avoid cipro.  Now this so called non infection is something new, and I am going to ask the urologist to prescribe something ;like oxybutin to help me function and calm my bladder.  My repeat UA is now being cultured and I should hear soon.  We are going on a road trip for 2 plus weeks early July and I need some help, will have to choose one of the two evils to get me through.  Oh, for a good night's slep!  Up severall times, no wonder I drag through the day.   I've taken the prednisone for 19 months, that's when the UAs became my frequent visitor.      Sorry you have have had these problems, along with others, and are so willing to advise others!

• Posted

Post Script on UTA;  Last week after the culture was done ( on a UA that had NO infection, only white cells) I was prescribed cefpodoxime 200mg BID for 7 days.  I have one more tab to take, and viola! my urine is clear and my uncomfortable symptoms have disappeared!  I have an appt. with my uroligist again next week.  (I should be in good shape when my husband and I take our road trip early July for approx 2 plus weeks, NJ, Ohio, KY, NC.)  Thanks for all of your comments.
    • Posted

Hurrah! Now all they need to establish is was it really an infection - or is it coincidence. But it sounds good! Have a lovely break
    • Posted

Thanks!  The human body is an amazing "machine", but it IS human and doesn't always seem to act according to Hoyle!....Next week - - "on the road!"

• Posted

You could try d mannose for your bladder. Its usually very effective. Good luck
    • Posted

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is that and what does it do?
  • Posted

Its for UTIs and bladder problems, I can't give you a link unfortunately but you can look it up with Google. It can be purchased on line in tablet or powder form or a health food shop. Its been recommended on this site before and saves having to keep taking antibiotics. I use it whenever I feel any problems beginning down there and it is soon solved for me. I hope it is the same for you as its such a relief!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.