Uti stinging when peeing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Wednesday I got diagnosed with a pretty nasty uti. Most of the things tested for by the dip stick method came up straight away. It's so painful, is this stinging so bad it's making me cry normal? I dread going for a pee, I'm trying to drink more water to dilute it but it just seems to get even more stingy! I started my antibiotics Wednesday evening, how long will it take for this awful pain to go?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

What's happening to you is one of the symptoms of a uti.  You haven't been on antibiotics long enough to reduce the bacteria that is causing it. You might ring your doctor and let them know you're in pain.  There is a medication that can be prescribed for you that you can take to reduce or eliminate the pain.  

• Posted

I'm suffering from the same, which medication is best for the pain please?

• Posted

It's called (in the US) pyridium. I hope this helps!  One needs to remember that it changes the color of the urine and that the urine will stain clothing.   

• Posted

Two days max in my case.

• Posted

I'm on my 7th tablet now, two a day and it's still no better sad I'm beginning to think this will never end! My doctor said symptoms should clear up around 24-48 hours after taking the tablets but honestly it's not getting any better whatsoever.

• Posted

My prescription was for one tablet x 4 daily. Maybe you need a higher dosage?
  • Posted

You mentioned you are on 7th tablet now and no better.  Did you find out what the urine cultured?  Some bacteria's are resistant to certain antibiotics.  Doctors usually prescribe an antibiotic with a positive urinalysis and symptoms, but sometimes it isn't until the culture is done that they know what type of antibiotic would be best.  The problem is the culture takes 48 hours, so they like to try and stop the bacteria from growing any more.  It is usually within two days where you would start to feel better.  I would say by day three if there is no improvement then I would talk to a doctor and maybe they can find a different antibiotic and they shoudl know what the urine cultured.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.