Uti symptoms are mostly gone except for...

Posted , 3 users are following.

My uti horrible burning pain symptoms are just about gone. The urgency is still there.  Is that normal?  It still kind of hurts to pee as well.  Like as if I held it in for a long time, then finally got to the toilet, and it kind of hurts.  I’m happy the burning is gone, but is the urgency part of the uti?  Or am I just getting old?  52. 😢

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Audrey,

I just noticed no one replied to you so thought I'd have a go!

52 isn't old looking from my side of 64, but I have for years (at least 12!) had constant feelings of irritation - a bit like thrush but not thrush.  The gynae-man said it was my tissues thinning as I had early menopause and I just needed some oestrogen cream to apply every now and then.  I still use it but now ring the changes with coconut oil which also helps since I don't like to use the hormone cream too much.  I've also got hormone pessaries to keep the whole works in good shape but I use them less then the recommended once a week.

Telling you this as I often wonder if a lot of women asking about irritation and other feelings are assuming it's bladder and urine related wheras it might be something else.  I knew it wasn't a UTI when I first had it as I was plagued with them many years ago.

I do get urgency, especially in the mornings which I can probably put down to lots of tea and coffee. I drink a little cranberry juice every day as I read it prevents any stray bugs from managing to get a grip on the bladder wall. 

My guess is that your bladder was inflamed by the infection and the 'feelings' are because it's all settling down and still a bit tender. Mind you, I realise it's been a week since you posted so you probably know one way or the other by now!

I hope some of this is useful as you get ready for the 'getting old' bit.  I don't feel I've got there yet, maybe in 12 years time  - I'll let you know!

• Posted

Well thank you very much for your reply!  I agree and feel (as the original Gyn-urologist explained), that it was the thinning of that entire area, and it becomes susceptible to infection. Now...  I have itching!!  I think all those antibiotics did a number on the flora that was probably diminished because of it.  I’ve tried the suppository cream, but hasn’t really helped.  I’m just going to keep up with the estrogen cream, I was also prescribed that...until I get in with the urologist on the 12th.  I find the coconut oil is really a life saver as well! And 52 isn’t bad, except all the female things that happen.  Hahahahaha..  oh I also have like a “tickling” around the booty area, kind of itchy.  I wonder if that’s part of the yeast infection?  It’s so difficult and embarrassing to talk about!  Ughhhh!  🙄

• Posted

Hi Audrey.  I am having the same symptoms as you after having treatment for UTI infection a few months ago. UTI's are very stubborn to clear up according to GP's but I had 2 lots of antibiotics but now am having itching and just a general feeling of being "uncomfortable" ( can't think of a better way of describing it ). I have been thinking it could be a yeast infection but no way of telling I guess. By the way, I am  good 10 years older than you !!!!! Luv Lily x

• Posted

Hi Lily,

I am going to the urologist tomorrow, so I will definitely keep you posted on what he says the itching could be. I really do think that it’s a vicious circle and that when you are treated for UTI you’re taking away all the good bacteria from down there and it starts to become a yeast  infection. The original doctor gave me three pills for the yeast as a preventative I guess, but I was done with those in three days when the antibiotics lasted 10 days.  Maybe i should’ve  taken them when I was all finished with the antibiotics. LOL I will keep you posted about tomorrow’s appointment though thank you for sharing with me.  Xxoo

Audrey 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.