UTI symptoms at night and in the morning?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I basically thought I had a UTI which wasn't painful at all just had the feeling of needing to pee. Went to the docs and they gave me trimethoprim for 3 days and it didn't work. Now they have given me nitrofurantoin which seems to be helping (not 100% sure). I'm wondering if anyone has had the feeling of needing a wee just in the morning or at night with a UTI? Is this even a UTI or something else?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Didn't they at least do a dipstick test on your wee?  It's very bad medical practice to give antibiotics without even checking!  Nitrofurantoin is certainly not to be taken lightly (i.e. if there's no actual infection).  If these symptoms persist I suggest you ask for a culture to be done to make sure you're taking the correct remedy instead of following a doctor's hunch!

If the nitro doesn't work they may well offer you Cipro (or Levo or another FQ).  Please never take one of these unless you're actually in danger of dying!  See the Quinolone discussions on this site for the reasons why. 

Get a culture done!  You actually need to know if it is a uti or something else before you swallow more antibiotic poison (did you think they were sweets?!)

Good luck!

• Posted

My wee is currently being cultured to see if I have a uti and if it's the right antibiotic.

Im currently feeling sicker from the antibiotics and not from the UTI. The symptoms appear to have almost gone but just kinda happen in the morning/night rather than all the time rolleyes

I don't take antibiotics like sweets that's why I'd like to stop taking them asap

• Posted

Sorry I asked but you didn't make this clear in your opening post, you just asked  " Is this even a UTI or something else?"  which made me think you were asking the world to guess rather than having a culture done!

Hopefully you'll soon find out what it is then you can be given the appropriate AB - if you haven't been on it already.

My warnings about FQ antibiotics (e.g. Cipro) was very serious so please be wary of them.  I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

HI. I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. I GET STINGY, AND NEED TO PEE OFTEN,ALSO I FEEL PRESSURE IN MY PELVIC AREA, THERES ONLY 2 ANTIBIOTICS I CAN TAKE, CLAVAMOX, DISTASTICLUR ,I WONT TAKE THE DANGERIOUS ONES, LIKE CIPRO, OR LEVO, I REALLY THINK IT MIGHT BE CYSTITIS ,IF I TAKE A WARM DRINK OF BAKING SODA IN WATER EVERY HOUR FOR 3 HOURS THE BURNING GOES AWAY,BUT I USUALLY END UP HAVING TO TAKE A SHORT COURSE OF AMOXOL, THEN ABOUT 2 WEEKS LATER IT ALL COMES BACK AGAIN.MY URINE USUALLY SHOES WHITE CELLS AND A TRACE OF BLOOD.WITCH MY GP SAYS THERES INFECTION..ITS REALLY WORRYING I KEEP THINKING ITS SOMETHING ELSE..JUST LIKE YOU..XXX
  • Posted

Depends, the only way you will know is if they do a culture, which most doctors do before prescribing an antibiotic as it is not good to take antibiotics if you do not have a bacterial infection.  Everyone is different on their symptoms, but the urge to pee by itself is usually not an indicator of UTI there is usually more symptoms involved.  I have heard that 60% of the time there are people who have bacteria and show no signs at all.  The urge to pee can be from a number of things, a yeast infection, an over active bladder, I would say if the antibiotics are not helping then it isn't a UTI.

• Posted

I got my test results back and all it said was "no further actions needed" I'm guessing I was on the correct antibiotics for the infection because as of today I am back to normal and tomorrow is my last day on antibiotics. Must have been a very very mild infection

• Posted

Oh that is great news!!!!  I look forward to the day that I get relief!!! smile

• Posted

I wish you all the best in getting your issue sorted! Like you said I probably had a very low amount of bacteria irritating my bladder sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.