UTI symptoms but urine is "satisfactory". What could it be?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been feeling symptoms of a UTI (pain when peeing, need to pee even after I have peed, and blood in my urine) for about 1-2 months. It took about a month to get my urine to a doctor because I have really bad issues when it comes to talking to people especially about personal stuff. The other reason I left it was because the symptoms stopped for a while, then came back, then left again. I thiught that it went on its own but then a week ago it came back again and it was very painful so I went to the doctor immediately. A week later (today) I called back to get results for my urine sample and it came back satisfactory, no problem. I couldn't accept that because there had been blood and it was cloudy. I wasn't imagining it. So I took another sample today and they checked it there and then and it was still fine. The receptionist pulled me to the side to tell me that I had to talk to the doctor to get this sorted and she booked an appointment for tomorrow. I guess I just want some possiblities until then. I know you might not have an answer. I just need to keep my mind at ease because I panic very easily so my first thought was 'if they can't detect it in my urine, surely it must be serious'.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello, so sorry you are experiencing this. It can be very unnerving to know something is wrong only to be told your urine came back fine. My first question is are they only doing the rapid urinalysis in their office? If so, ask your doctor to send it out to the lab to be cultured to see if anything grows. Secondly, I assume you are seeing a primary care doctor? If you feel like you aren't getting anywhere with your PCP, ask for a referral to a urologist or urogyn (if you are a woman, sorry, can't tell from your description). They are much more specialized and deal with your issue on a daily basis. They will probably want to run some tests, perhaps cystoscopy, to look inside the bladder. Also, maybe a CT scan with dye contrast to rule out blockages, etc. Don't stress too much if possible. You need to focus on systematically ruling out different things so get to the answer. There is a chronic disease called Interstitial Cystitis which mimics a UTI in the absence of any infection but it is way too early to determine if that is what you are experiencing. There are many possibilities before that conclusion. In the meantime, try to eat and drink bladder friendly foods so as not to irritate your bladder any further.

• Posted

I really don't know what's going on and what tests they've been doing. I just freeze up in front of people so I'm just basically doing what they're telling me but not knowing 100% why I'm doing it. Hopefully the GP will have more information about what the next step is tomorrow. 

• Posted

You can buy some uti test strips like AZO and test it yourself, saving an office visit. Hank
  • Posted

It will not be serious as the urine test will have tested for kidney disease and other complications. This looks like it is bile salts. If they have not tested for bile salts then this could be a lead. 
  • Posted

So update: doctors appointment was today and she doesn't seem worried at all. She basically said for whatever reason, my bladder is inflamed. She has told me to take ibuprofen over the weekend to see if that changes anything. If there are still symptoms on Monday, I have to send in another urine sample. Though I'm not sure what difference that will make at this point. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.