UTI symptoms starting up again during antibiotics

Posted , 2 users are following.

This all began a week ago. I had started my new job at a greenhouse. It was incredibly hot and I was sweating from head to toe. About midday, I went to use the bathroom and it burned a bit to urinate and I found myself having to go frequently with little to nothing coming out. The usual uti symptoms. I don't believe I got it from sex though considering I had not had sex for several days prior to this incident. I continue to have these symptoms all day the next day and they're worse. I had also gone to work and I'm sure that didn't help. At that point, my only symptoms were unrest pain and burning during urination, discomfort after urination some lower stomach pain and pus (white blood cells) in my urine. The following day, I called in sick and went to an urgent care. I was prescribed nitrofurantoin for 7 days. Once I got home, my lower back began to ache too. Now, I'm 4 days into the antibiotics and am starting to experience some pain and pressure during urination as well as slight lower back pain. I probably should call my doctor, but I just want to know if anyone has experienced anything like this and whether or not this is normal?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

By 4 days of taking the antibiotic I'd say you should have better reults. It may be that you need a different antibiotic. Luckily for me Nitrofurantain has always worked. However, I was first prescribed some other antibiotic that didn't help. Your doctor may have sent your sample for testing at a lab. The results would tell her/him - and you -  which antibiotic is most effective. Go back and ask.

• Posted

Thanks. I was hoping the lab would call me with results as that's what the doctor said, but they haven't. If by the 6th or 7th day my symptoms aren't completely gone, I'll call my actual doctor.

• Posted

OK - but don't delay too long. I'm sure I've suffered kidney damage that can't be undone due to uti issues. Don't risk it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.