UTI that won’t go

Posted , 7 users are following.

On the 5th July I came home from work doubled over in pain just to the right of my belly button which turned out to be a UTI, I hadn’t experienced any pain before that day but since then it hasn’t cleared!

I had 4 courses of antibiotics and then got sent for an ultrasound which all came back clear, another doctor then gave me another course of antibiotics which still didn’t clear it and I’ve now been referred to a Urologist (appt next week). A urine sample has been sent off to the doctors every 2/3 weeks since July and hasn’t come back clear once. The doctor thinks that the urologist will most likely want to do a Cytoscopy. Since all this started I haven’t felt majorly ill, I just very occasionally get the pain to the right of my belly button, but not bad enough to stop me doing anything, and have had a few occasions where it’s burnt a bit when I’ve urinated. I’m only aware the infection is still there as my urine is so much darker than it has ever been. The day I got my referral from the doctors she tested a urine sample whilst I was there which also showed traces of blood in my urine.  I’ve also been experiencing extreme fatigue and rapid weight gain over the last few years (not sure if these symptoms could be related?). 

I just wondered if anyone had any idea what could be causing this? 

A bit about me to help: I’ve got ‘borderline’ under active thyroid and currently on 50mcg a day, was also treated last year for low B12. I’m 22 years old, I have horses so lead an active lifestyle and eat healthily. I don’t drink or smoke. 

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Get the ultrasound and culture report done.. Sometimes stones in kidney/bladder can cause blood in urine and bacteria can hide in them as well.  FYI, Ultrasound cannot detect smaller stones. .  I am currently on milder antibiotics (nightly dose of 250mg amxocy clavunate +  100 cefixime or 50mg macrobid).  I drink lemon juice/acid cider vinegar in the morning.
    • Posted

Thanks David, so just an update I finished the Doxy and three days later my nausea, and back ache , stomach all came back again and burning/stinging sensation in stomach. I actually went to A&E as pain was bad. They checked all my bloods , and as i have never cultured anything back in bacteria they said they don’t believe it is UTi and could be gynea or stomach issue. So I have abdomen scan booked in next week and gynea urgent referral. They have put me back on doxy and another AB ( metronidazole) my stomach really is struggling to cope with all these and i am going heavy duty on the probiotics. I am quite frightened what is ahead and what is causing all this. 

• Posted

hope u get well soon.. google for stomach ulcer ayurveda  and you could get some good tips and natural remedies in those sites.. try to identify the cause of the issue based on pain location - upper or lower flank pain or whether it is a lower body pain. in my case, i had mild nagging pain in upper flank region below the ribs and i know it has to do with my kidneys..

• Posted

Hi, I'm new here looking for answers myself. My UTI, I only get immediate relief sitting on the potty or in a warm bath. But as soon as I stand up the pain in my uretha is back immediately.

A few years ago I had a UTI every other month for a year or longer. Saw a urologist who performed several test & all came back ok. I was miserable as antibiotics would clear everything for several weeks but it would just come back. I went for a second urologist w opinion who sedated me & found my uretha halfway closed. He opened it back up & for the next 1.5 years I was UTI free. Had another 2 utis back to back again in July 2016 & the Dr again opened my uretha. Now I have another UTI & I'm on Cipro on day 5 & my infection is showing up again with the bad uretha pain. This has never happened. Antibiotics have always cleared it up for a few weeks at least. I also got a shot of rocefin & have taken 2-3 urabel daily for a few days. My GP Dr did a CT scan for another problem & just happened to find a cyst on my left kidney. Scared me but yet my Dr isn't worried. He said those are common. To be safe I insisted on a ultrasound & the tech assured me they were common too. Idk if this is the case or early signs of something but my point to your problem maybe uretha needs opening? Idk why mine does this & I have had constant tummy pain, nothing serious just a nagging pain. And this time I've been nauseous. I am awaiting a call back appointment for my urologist but maybe ask about uretha??

• Posted

If you're taking Cipro have a look at my post above on here from 11 days ago. It's a very strong antibiotic that some people can tolerate for one or two courses (or possibly more) but it can eventually give you the most horrendous problems including tendon ruptures, agonising pain, insomnia and anxiety - there's a very long list in the package leaflet so take a look at yours.  If you get a pain in your legs or heels - or anywhere, actually, you should stop taking it immediately. 

• Posted

Hi, mine showed as tummy pain - i would use the toilet and when just about finish urinating , have a sharp pain that nearly follows a line up from my bladder to left ribs. Very painful. But as advised earlier still had no burning down below really. Nausea and flank pain like someone was sitting on it. Horrible.  I have horses also and can’t even manage to lift a haynet at present and my active life has just stopped 😞

• Posted

just thought of giving an update, my UTI symptoms have gone after intermittent fasting, consuming lots of water and taking alkaline foods (seems the alkaline foods rich in magnesium clear up the kidney stones as well). Augmentin and cefuroxime seem to have helped this. Now to fix the prostate infection due to Klebsiella, i have started taking clarithomycin 250 mg morning and night for 2-3 weeks, and it seems to work because the mild pros pain subsides immediately after i take this antibiotic, however it increases when i consume sugary/starchy foods.
    • Posted

David , glad things are starting to clear up for you. Hopefully you will be able to get off the AB fully in future. I have been on Doxy now for three months everytime I start to come off it, the UTI symptoms re-appear🙁 I had an  abdominal u/s yesterday and they were spending quite alot of time on my right side upper ribs. Nervous what they have possibly found however hopefully get answers and i also have a cystoscopy next week. I had to push my GP all the way for these tests and they honestly had no interest in helping me determine what is wrong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.