UTI treatment without antibiotics? - Possible Spread?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’ve had a painful UTI for the last couple days. Really reluctant to get antibiotics, so I’ve been trying to treat it with D-Mannose, Cranberry extract, A lot of water and apple cider vinegar. This morning, I’ve had a lot less pain peeing and less feeling like I need to pee constantly. But I’ve started getting pain in my left side of my abdomen.. Maybe the colon area? I’ve heard of a UTI infection spreading to the kidneys without proper treatment. I was wondering if this can spread to other areas of the body too? Not sure why my side is throbbing in pain. I’ve also been taking painkillers like ibuprofen and codeine.... Maybe the colon pain is down to all the pills? 

I really want antibiotics to be a last resort. I’ll take them if I have to.  But wondering what the best course of action is from here? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

A UTI can cause Sepsis if it gets out of hand.   The best course of action in my opinion is a 'good' doctor and the appropriate antibiotics.

• Posted

If you feel like it has spread into your kidneys I suggest going to a doctor to get antibiotics. He will also check your urine for a UTI. There's also at home test strips you can buy on Amazon to check as well.

• Posted

I am not sure why you are resistant to taking antibiotics unless you have either a long history of taking them and are worried about building resistance or if you have had a bad reaction???

Has a doctor diagnosed a UTI or you just are assuming from past history or symptoms?

A uti can be easy to treat with one round of antibiotics. Natural remedies have never worked for me although dmannose has kept them at bay.

If you have tried all those methods and still have symptoms as well as serious pain I'd go with antibiotics before it travels up to your kidneys...or worse...into your bloodstream.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Don't wait - get your urine checked for a uti.

I fully understand why you are reluctant to take antibiotics as they invariable do some damage but if you also take probiotics at the same time they will help keep the balance.  Sepsis from a uti is a lot more dangerous than most antibiotics!

You probably know there are different classes of antibiotics but please do beware of the fluoroquinolone group - Cipro (ciprofloxacin) is the most common but there are several others under many different names so always check for the name fluoroquinolone.

There are discussions on this site about them if you want more info.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.