UTI with bloody urine, extremely painful. Help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys,

I've had several UTIs in the past but none have lasted more than a few hours. Today, I woke up with the worst UTI I've ever had. My urine is completely bloody and looks like I'm having a heavy menstrual flow (but I'm not on my period). I am urinating out blood clots that hurt incredibly badly to pass. Doctor gave me bactrim to kill it off and told me to take probiotics in between my antibiotics.

How long until the pain stops and how long until I stop urinating blood?? Thank you!!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you're going through this.  Usually, you should see results between 3-4 days after starting the bactrim. Drink lots of water!  Your doctor could give you something for the pain.  There's a prescription drug available. Best of luck! xx

• Posted

I am the same way but I have e had a Uti for a year and a half and nothing is working for me
  • Posted

You're very lucky that your doctor told you to take probiotics - many doctors don't bother to say and many people still don't know!  The bactrim should do it, but if not try to get a sample cultured as you may need a different antibiotic.  Don't let them prescribe Cipro or any other fluoroquinolone though - this class of antibiotic can be very dangerous (check out the fluoroquinolone discussions on here).

Good luck and I hope it goes soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.