UTI? Yeast Infection? Or something else? Burning urethra

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone. I'm a 29 year old female. I've had one UTI in my life that I can remember and that's when I was a kid. I've had a handful of mild YIs that have been easily treated. For the past four days I've been having some abnormal symptoms. 

Since June I've been dealing with a reoccuring Bartholin's cyst (a clog of the Bartholin's gland in the vagina. It causes a lump to form on one side of the opening and it can be sore). I treat myself with a portable sitz bath. I sit in it with warm water and sea salt. It helps my symptoms, however (sorry tmi) sometimes I get up when I'm done and notice tiny poo particles floating in the water. I do it after showering but I guess it really cleans you out. I get grossed out and hop back in the shower to wash my bits again.

Fast forward to last week when my cyst was acting up. I read witch hazel can help so I soaked a wad of tp in it and held it on the area. Immediately I knew I made a mistake because my whole vagina burned and felt irritated the rest of the day. Come to find out it contains alcohol. 

Since that day, I've had some symptoms pop up.  First and foremost is a constant burning twinge in the area of my urethra.  When I begin to pee there is also a painful twinge.  I don't feel urgency to go more than usual and have no cloudy urine or abdominal cramps.  The only other symptom I've been having is a small amount of white, sticky discharge. I've ovulated last week so it's possible it could be cervical mucus, but it's opacity is different for me.

Just wondering if this sounds like a UTI? Is it possible I just irritated the crap out of my urethra with witch hazel? Could I get a UTI from tiny poo particles in my sitz bath? The discharge is also a bit concerning but in the past my YIs have consisted of intense itching but that's really it. I have no itching at all.  

My boyfriend freaked me out a bit and told me my symptoms sound like chlamydia, which he's had. However he had it before we dated and was treated for it. I've since had testing done and everything's come back normal, so I'm not so sure if that's likely. 

Sorry for the length of this. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I don't think this sounds like chlamydia, so don't get too freaked out there. I've been dealing with the a similar issue for about 5 months now. Burning in urethra and a small twinge before I start to pee/right when the pee starts to come out. My obgyn says I am a little red and irritated down there and thinks it's from that. So maybe you irritated the skin down there with the witch hazel and now when you pee you're hitting the inflamed skin. I would try some petroleum jelly or aquaphor to try and calm the skin down and also wash the area after you pee so it's not just sitting on your skin. Urine is acidic stuff.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply! My doc said pretty much the same thing. She examined me and said I looked a bit irritated but didn't believe it was a UTI. Since the visit my symptoms have subsided. Turns out I was also tested for chlamydia during my last physical in Feb which was also reassuring. I will not be using straight witch hazel in that area anymore haha. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.