Uticarial causes

Posted , 3 users are following.

My skin condition started two years ago at the age of 66. I have never had a sensitivity problem before but had a tremendous amount of stress to deal with so have definitely put the cause down to that.

I was prescribed betnovate for a small sore patch which then spread all around my top half and arms. Again, prescribed cream etc simply made it spread until it was infected and I was prescibed prednisalone.

To sum up without going into more details - the only cream to alleviate the itch is Aveeno. I avoid anything with liquid paraffin. Any drugs I'm prescribed need to be without E110 colouring. Chinese herbs help for a while as do antihistamine but I am now going to see a hypnotherapist whom I hope will help me deal with stress levels.

Watch this space!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

This sounds more like an itchy eczema than ordinary urticaria. Was the area where it began in contact with any metals as in jewellery or fasteners. Did you then use creams on your upper body because, as you have discovered, allergies to components of creams are common.

Whatever started it stress would make matters worse. People with eczema know all too well how stress exacerbates their skin problems. I look forward to hearing what happens next.

• Posted

No it is definitely Urticaria. I wake up after sleeping naked in clean cotton sheets and find new lumps have appeared
  • Posted

It sounds like you may have other allergies that are causing your urticaria. Mine didn't go away until I stopped using scented dryer sheets. I hope everything goes well with the hypnotherapist. Good luck!
    • Posted

I stopped using anything perfumed plus sensitive washing powder 2 years ago and only have anything natural (cotton or silk) next to my skin. Chinese herbs have the best cooling effect but £7 a day is so expensivede

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.