Utility experience

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 72 and just had the urolift procedure. My prostate problem started 4 years ago when i was going to the loo 2/3 times a night. Doc referred me to urologist who did a cystoscopy and confirmed obstuction of the ureatha. He offered turp but i was happier with nocturia than the after effects of surgery.

The nocturia progressed from 3 times per night over the next 3/4 years to 8 times, at Which point i was put on Tamsulosin which brought the nocturia down to 5 times.

Couldn't put it off any longer so was referred to a urologist at Liverpool University Hospital. i fancied PAE but its a 6 week process with only a 70% success rate. i discounted rezum, holep etc because of after effects which usually include catheterization so went for urolift.

Went to theatre at 10am for light anaesthetic and was back in room 15mins later. Passed quite a few blood clots with minimal pain and was discharged at 3 pm and urine was clear by 5pm. Urgent need to pee for a couple of days but soon normalised. The outcome wasn't great as my nocturia is still 3 times nightly. However, the urologist used 3 clips and said the whole urethra was clear. The reason for this less than satisfactory outcome is due to trabeculation ie the bladder losing elasticity as it had been pushing urine through a blockage for a long time so it doesn't expand and contract as usual.

it used to take 2/3. minutes for urine to drip but now its a trickle and takes half the time and sometimes the trickle turns into a stream. So whilst the result is less than optimum, i can live with it as at least i no longer worry about an emergency visit to A & E which would no doubt have involved surgery.

So whichever procedure you choose it seems to be how much the bladder has lost elasticity that determines the outcome.

Geoff

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello, Geoff:

I hear you, but I am not sure it applies to all. My prostate was 265g. Not sure how long in years it took for me to get to this size, but when I peed, I had to let it go versus pushing it out. Pushing with a large prostate made things worse for me, including complete lockup. However, since having my Simple Robotic Prostatectomy (the mass removed), I now push with no problem and void in less than 5 seconds regardless of how long I hold it. Pushing is now the norm for me and my bladder seems stronger than ever, or at least a big difference from when I just let the urine out and stood there way too long with a weak stream.

Dave

• Posted

Hi Dave. mine was only 60 but had the uretha well constricted. 265 sounds like a monster but you obviously had a good outcome. Why my bladder lost elasticty and yours didn't is probably down to difference in people i suppose.

Geoff

• Posted

Hi Geoff,

I am so pleased to hear that you are happy with your Urolift, and that the experience wasn't too horrific, as I am currently waiting to undergo the procedure myself.

I did attend for it last August but, unfortunately, it was cancelled at the last moment as I went into retention whilst at the hospital waiting and was sent home with a catheter in place. That was my first, and hopefully the last, experience of AUR.

Are you still taking the Tamsulosin or are you now drug free?

Best wishes,

Steve.

• Posted

Hi Steve. i kicked the tamsulosin into touch about a fortnight before i was due to have the Urolift. The procedure wasn't a problem due to light anaesthetic the worst bit was passing the blood clots but that wasn't anywhere near as the pain of the cystoscopy. So no worries at all but the result can't be guaranteed according to urologist as evyone reacts differently. Good luck. Geoff

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.