UTIs and biofilms

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’m starting to think that the reason my symptoms have popped up again is due to the fact that the bacteria from the last uti formed Biofilms inside my body.

Does anyone have any info or experience on this? Do you know how to detect if one has Biofilms and what the treatment is like?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

The solution for any bacterial infection is always going to be antibiotics.    

Why do you start new threads for the same problem?  Doing so, we can't see the background data unless we search back, which is what I did.

When a UTI keeps coming back in a very short time, it is likely that all the bacteria were not killed and they reproduced resulting in another infection.  Each time a dose of antibiotic is given and fails, the bacteria get smarter and become more difficult to kill.  It doesn't matter biofilm or not.  The solution imo is that the antibiotic needs to be taken longer.  Doctors are prescribing too short a time and often not the right antibiotic.   

Also, just because this or that alternative medicine or over the counter product helped some people, the likelihood that you can rid yourself of a persistent uti with other than antibiotics is very slim.

• Posted

My bacterial cultures are showing up as negative though making it unnecessary for me to take any sort of antibiotic.

The reason for the new thread is because this introduces a a new topic I don’t have a lot of information about and I wanted to make the thread title about Biofilms. Biofilms make the bacteria resistant to antibiotics and immune system responses

• Posted

Good on you Bianca!! We really need to spread awareness about how these dreadful bugs hide behind biofilms. I’ve had to stay on antibiotics for the past 3 years and am dreading the day they stop working for me, as I cannot take any other antibiotics. It’s dreadful!!

Good luck to all. 

• Posted

I’m so sorry to hear that!! Did you discover you had Biofilms inside your body? If so, how did you make that discovery? What has the treatment been like?
    • Posted

I had chronic uti and constant antibiotics for years and they finally began to not work at all!

I read about biofilm on this site and asked a few doctors.  They acted totally naive about biofilm.

Now I take dmannose and hippurite but my bladder feels very sore from all those chronic infectionssad. I feel best drinking lots of water it seems to make the urine thin and either there’s scar tissue & biofilm in my bladder area.  I do feel that doctors messed me up / not enough antibiotics or wrong antibiotics!

• Posted

I am under a top London professor and he said that my infection is hiding behind a biofilm. A biofilm is only like slime, whereby the antibiotics can’t get to it. Imagine when you get a snail slime on your hand by picking one up, it’s difficult to wash the slime off. It’s a terrible thing, but like most ladies say on here, if they had been treated with a prolonged course of antibiotics at the beginning, it wouldn’t have kept reoccurring. It’s a terrible thing. I self catheterise which makes things so much worse. 

Good luck to all on here! We really need to campaign for some more research into a cure. 

• Posted

Hi Lina,

Do you mean Hiprex? I tried that stuff and it burnt my bladder out, so unfortunately haven’t been able to take it. It turns your urine to beat acid, I couldn’t take the pain. Corr it’s a nightmare life eh!! Please read my comment to Bianca. All the best to you. 

• Posted

Sorry meant to say neat acid!
    • Posted

How can we get rid of the Biofilm?

Apparently they sell biofilm disrupters on Amazon. I am going to buy one. It destroys the biofilm but you have to take it in conjunction with d mannose or an antibiotic to get rid of the bacteria

• Posted

Can you do me a favour and private message me with the name of it please Bianca. x
  • Posted

check this site from Chris kesser, he reckons biofilms are due to heavy metals in the body:

to get rid of metals all you need to do is eat plenty of garlic, seaweed, apple and pear pectin. you can get a metals test either urine or blood, also hair analysis will detect metal allergies

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Thanks for letting me know. 

Will eating these things disband the biofilm or does it just stop them from forming? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.