Utrogestan tablets

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi ladies

As some of you are aware I am on HRT. I changed to the gel 5 weeks ago and I take utrogestan for 12 days of the month. When I take the utrogestan I feel odd,all wired up. I read on other forums that instead of taking it orally a lot of ladies use it vaginally. I don't think it is licensed in the UK. I spoke to my doctor today and asked her. She hadn't really heard about it but said for me to find out more. I wondered how other people have got on with it orally and vaginally?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think this is something worth investigating or maybe just trying out. I recall reading many years ago that birth control pills can be inserted vaginally instead of taken orally to avoid the nausea that some women experience. Plus it bypasses the first pass through the liver. But the concern would be that it may cause you to get more of the active hormone than you need since oral delivery requires a higher dose. I do know some women who use part of a Prometrium (micronized progesterone) capsule vaginally instead of swallowing the whole capsule because they do not tolerate it well orally. You could call your pharmacist and get his/her expert opinion on it. Hope this helps!
  • Posted

Hi Michelle

I'm trying to bring up the courage to try this tablet in the next few days. You've been on it since Spring time now as I recall? Did it always feel that way from the start? And any other symptoms from it?

I've read a US expert Saying some women open the capsule and use it as a topical gel on their arms.

• Posted

Hi there

At the beginning it was fine. I feel wired up and I don't know whether it is a coincidence but I feel nauseous the days I take them. It is my 4th day now of the progesterone part. I have slept the last 3 nights better though. I am waiting to see what the next couple of days are like. I will let you know x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.