UVB treatment for Lichen Planus

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Has anyone tried this to treat this condition? Have been offered both UVA or UVB but thought I’d opt for the less intense one first and see if that has any effect. Would really appreciate other people’s views on this treatment and it’s efficacy / side effects.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Etha,

Although I have never been treated with artificial UVs when I was still suffering from LP, I can attest that tropical sun exposure along with sea water baths were extremely helpful in putting the disease into partial remission for a few months, and on several occasions. Because I have also read testimonials of other patients who have had comparable success either with natural sunlight or artificial UVs, I have additional reasons to believe the treatment may indeed be helpful for many patients.

However, ultimately, I never healed completely through UV exposure. Saint-John's Wort tablets, produced from the extract of the plant, completely cured me after a few months of oral treatment. I have now been disease-free for close to 5 years, after 20 years of personal research for a cure. Scientists now believe that many forms of atopic dermatitis may initially be caused by damaged skin that becomes exposed to a common bacteria called Staphylococcus Aureus. SJW is lethal to many strains of bacteria, including some that are now resistant to conventional antibiotics, and has been in use to help repair damaged skin for over 2,000 years.

It would also be logical to assume that UV exposure may somewhat affect the livelihood of certain strains of bacteria on the skin surface, and that might explain why many patients experience relief through this treatment.

All the best,

Greg.

• Posted

Thanks for your response Greg. I have had LP for over 40 years now and whilst I just learnt to live with it ( after trying so many treatments without success) I thought why not give it a go as from what I read online, it can be very effective. Would just like to hear from people who’ve actually had UVB or UVA phototherapy and find out more what to expect and if it helped them. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.