VA symptoms back after 11month of having Mona Lisa treatment

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had three Mona Lisa treatments between sept and dec 17 and all my symptoms were gone but now 11months from the first treatment I have had a flare up of the VA and a UTI.  The consultant did say I might need a top up every year which I thought was just marketing but looks like he was right.  I've just rang the clinic and it is £700 plus another £275 for the consultation just for the one session.  Anyone know of anywhere cheaper in the UK.  I dont want to have to spend another £1000 .  

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Linda

yes I have heard that you have to have Maintance treatments.  Do you use Vagifem as well or just the treatments?  I hear some women use Vagifem along with the ML treatments...maybe that stretches the need for more treatments so soon.  I think it is terrible that the insurance companies and health care providers do not cover the ML treatments for women that suffer from AV or VA!   They should!  I am in the US so unable to recommend.  I wish you well!  I use the Vagifem. 

Best,

Wendy

• Posted

Totally understand... I have to do it annually ...last one was Dec. 2017... It was $1000 and I cannot find it any cheaper ... I do not use Vagifem and as I age may need Mona Lisa more frequently.... Its expensive but the pain is not doable for me
    • Posted

On my insurance plan one tube of estradiol is $300. Birth control pills are given free...at least in this state. What's wrong with this picture? We really need to file complaints with insurance companies. I have started the process, but one person alone is not going to effect change. 

Hormones need to be more affordable, particularly with health plans that are specifically for medicare aged people. Mona Lisa laser should also be covered as not all people are willing or able to use hormones.

We have to speak up.

• Posted

I agree Beverly.... I don't know where to start... Medicare has to cover part for my secondary to pay ... medicare has number to assign ... It is criminal that women have to suffer and that insurance does not cover Mona Lisa.   What to do?

• Posted

Hi Beverly....how did you start the process?  I wish all our doctors would help all of us with the insurance companies.  AV is very painful and requires help my means of medications like creams, tablets like Vagifem, or treatments like the Mona Lisa.  I think part of the problem is that many women use these things for sexual reasons to improve their sex lives, I understand that......but for those of us that suffer pain from lack of estrogen and have Atrophic Vaginitis......we need these things to get quality of life..and many can't even afford these.......which is wrong!

We need help from our doctors.

• Edited

I called the insurance company and voiced my complaint. I was sent a written response which I have yet to get to. If EVERYONE did this we would get some notice. We can't just complain to each other. Contacting our government representatives can only help as well.

What is wrong with improving sex lives?? Men have sexual issues covered by their insurance, don't they. I assume they do. What insurance doesn't cover is cosmetics, and the Mona Lisa has been used for facial rejuvenation. You are not as risk if you don't have facial rejuvenation, but we are if our AV is not stopped or reversed, correct?Seriously, without squeaky wheels, nothing changes. Insurance companies are not going to willingly cover additional procedures or drugs unless they are made to. 

Good health is good health and health insurance companies are supposed to be promoting it. In our cases hormones are required to attain it, yet my insurance puts estradiol on such a high drug tier that I have to pay for the first $400. When I asked the customer service rep what young women pay for birth control pills (hormones) she said "I believe they are free". Now how fair is that? If sex were the issue why would they be completely covered?

It could be that with the ML treatment it's too soon for enough evidence of its efficacy. My latest doctor said she is watching closely, but is not convinced so far it is beneficial to essentially burn thinning menopausal skin. I'm not sure how many "tune-ups" are needed when used cosmetically on the face, but I assume maybe as often as vaginally. But vanity is not the same as medical necessity to prevent chronic infection.

• Posted

I called Medicare but the Person said they could do nothing without a medical number to refer to… I am going to call my supplemental insurance company and talk to them to     this is ridiculous.  It is life-changing to have the pain that we do and if it’s the only thing that helps why isn’t even  even partially covered.   A good sign though is that my doctor now has it in her office and she is a gynecologist urologist so she is using it for nothing else but atrophy 
    • Posted

Hi Nancy

that is hopeful for you with your GYN doctor now having it in her office...and for Atrophy!!  Maybe she can deal with the insurance companies for her patients...I hope this will help you getting the cost down. It's a real money maker for the doctors.  My GYN is waiting to see more long term.....please keep us posted.

• Posted

Hi Wendy.  It is not any cheaper at her office last December.  When I go back will ask her about any progress.  She is sympathetic to our pain and was the one who finally diagnosed me after 4 years 
    • Posted

Hi Nancy......it is so sad that it took 4 years to diagnose you.....did you have discomfort all that time?  

Yes we all need to be contacting the insurance companies but the doctors need to be making insurance aware of the suffering of women with AV and need for them to cover whatever is needed for quality of life.....NOW! Hopefully your doctor will do just that.....as well as others.

keep us posted.

Wendy

• Posted

I was in pain with constant bladder infections.  It is debilitating.   So grateful for Mona Lisa for the relief it’s given

I see less posts about AV on this site than before and perhaps it is because of this treatment 

• Posted

Could be less because of Mona Lisa or Vagifem like me......this site is wonderful to help ladies get to where we are.....we are all different. 

Have a nice day!

Wendy

• Posted

Well it is truly back with a vengence.  Cannot believe three weeks ago I had no symptoms and believed I was cured.  Antibiotics have cleared up the UTI but the burning and pain is unbearable so I have an appointment next in two weeks for a top up Mona Lisa.  I had forgotten have painful it was amazing how you forget so easily.  Anyway because it is just under a year I dont have to pay the consultation fee just the treatment so £700. At least now I realise I am going to have to have this every year at best so will start saving for the next time.

• Posted

Hi Linda I'm so sorry to hear that you are again feeling that awful AV pain! It is just so upsetting and unfair that the insurance companies will not pay for these treatments!  I am using Vagifem but know many women on here that have the ML treatments and are out of pocket.  I just hope in time they will be covered.. the GYN doctors need to help with Insurance companies. Plus you had UTI too.😞 I hope you can use something like Estrace cream to help heal in the meantime unless you are unable to use it.

please let us know how you are.

Wendy

• Posted

Hi linda.  I am 9 months since my last touch up and just know it could be any time.  Wondering if I should just go and avoid waiting for the pain.  It’s painful n expensive but the pain is unbearable.   Hope you get some relief 
    • Posted

Please report in and let us know if your symptoms abate in two weeks with your next treatment.  Hoping you’ll be back to feeling normal again, and will have a long remission without any flare ups!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.