VAC treatment

Posted , 5 users are following.

As anyone used vac treatment on pressure ulcer- i'm using treatment couple of weeks so far the dressings are changed evey 48 hrs except at wkend try to go 72 hrs - any one have any comment positive or negative

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark. I have heard about the vac. Not too familiar with it though. My dread was having to clean and change the ulcer dressing. I just wanted the ulcer to go away. It was always on my mind. Knowing that it was not healed.
  • Posted

l have not been troubled by leg ulcers for some time now but have had years of the pain and constant dressings, while I would like to be able to advise I am not familiar with the Vac treatment perhaps you would enlighten me.

However as my doctor says I know more about ulcers than him,if you can possibly dress the wound yourself I would advise a new dressing every day,also though it can be painful at first a dry dressing with some form of pressure pad is the quickest way to heal the ulcer, I would add that I had my first ulcer at age of 16 and still get one if I am on my legs for to long,will be 88 in June, wish you well 

• Posted

Try compression socks, however make sure it's a varicose ulcer and not arterial ulcer.. Arterial ulcers you must not apply compression, check the clolour, arterial the skin area will be very purple .

You should get a Doppler test usually by the Nurse/GP this will give a reading as to the blood flow through the veins..you should then be measured for compression socks, support socks can help with venous return, it's the fluid in the extremities that cause varicose ulcers.

Try and do daily dressings, to avoid water logging and oedema in the tissues.

There are two grades of Socks/ stockings, one being tighter Hmg than the other, toeless, Full toe, short or long. Black or skin-tone, try and sit with the legs raised this helps..varicose ulcers tend to be around the Lower shin area..usually start with a scratch or knock, the skin is very thin at this part of the leg.

Good luck!

• Posted

Varicose veins develop when the small valves inside the veins stop working properly. 

In a healthy vein, blood flows smoothly to the heart. The blood is prevented from flowing backwards by a series of tiny valves that open and close to let blood through. 

If the valves weaken or are damaged, the blood can flow backwards and collect in the vein, eventually causing it to be swollen and enlarged (varicose).

Certain things can increase your chances of developing varicose veins, such as:

pregnancy 

being overweight 

old age

• Posted

HI mark. No. I have never had the vac. I think it's done at my wound care. Does it really help? How do you get referred to have it done ? Terry

• Posted

I have recently had vac treatment on one leg, I have ulcers caused by a fall on both legs. One ulcer is small but quite deep the other is much larger not so deep and that's the one treated with the vac. I found the whole thing ok really, not painful at all and I had my leg dressed twice a week. The other wound was being dressed daily. The result after about 5 weeks was amazing, my leg is healing beautifully. I may still have to have compression dressings on which I am not looking forward to at all but I have no choice . The only thing I found unpleasant was the noise from the pump sometimes kept me awake at night, but I am a very light sleeper anyway. If you do have to have a vac I hope you get on ok with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.