Vacation at 10 weeks post left ankle ORIF

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi - I broke my left ankle on 3/27 (comminuted fracture of the fibula, 4 breaks total). I had surgery one week later, plate and 5 screws. I am currently 3 weeks and 2 days post op. It’s been rough. My leg always hurts but it’s tolerable. Its the immobility I hate.  I’m not able to put my leg on a knee scooter, hurts and feels like the weight of the boot will break my ankle again! I mostly stay in the bed. When I put the leg down, it swells and hurts. 

Anyway, I’m feeling like maybe I’m recovering kinda behind schedule.  Everyone I know seems to think that I should be better by now.  The people I work with act like I should be able to come back to work no problem (desk job). Even people I know who have broken their ankles act like they were doing better at this point than I am. So I’m kind of afraid my recovery may be slower than I had hoped. The doc told me I could start weight bearing in 3 more weeks with the boot on. I’ll do that for 4 weeks, then I’ll be out of the boot and able to walk normally again. Our beach vacation was scheduled for that same week I get the boot off. Will I be back to normal by then (10 weeks post op)? Or should I reschedule for a few weeks further out? 

Thanks! This has been a sucky experience! 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HELLO.  YOU ARE OK AND TAKE YOUR TIME.  IGNORE THOSE PEOPLE SERIOUSLY. YOU MAY LOSE SOME FRIENDS BUT U WILL GAIN NEW ONES. YOU ARE GOING TO GO THROUGH UPS AND DOWNS. I FRACTURED MY TIB AND FIB .WITH PLATE AND SCREWS 20 WEEKS OUT.  I HAD A SETBACK LISTENING AT NEGATIVITY.  GOOD LUCK  
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your kind words! It’s easy to get caught up in the negativity. I really appreciate your encouragement and support. Hope your healing journey continues to improve - I’m jealous of your 20 weeks out smile
  • Posted

Brooke-Reschedule for a few weeks later. I had a perfect progression of healing (according to my orthopedic surgeon)from broken left ankle and ORIF surgery. That was Jan 2nd. I’m now 16 weeks postop. I went back to work at 11 weeks postop and it was hard. At the end of a 12 hour shift your lower leg and ankle swells.  It hurt to walk out to my car. I can walk around a lot, but nothing like I would on vacation. I can’t imagine walking in sand.

The swelling is getting better slowly but is there at the end of the day. The physical therapist showed me how to clear that through massage.

Don’t rush going back to work. I wish I had waited a couple more weeks but I just wanted to get my old life back. For people who think you should be able to do it too soon, heck with them. I just showed them the swelling at the end of the day and they were like “OMG “.

• Posted

do you have any sort of limping? this is what i care about when i walk i don't limp and people don't get sense that i have anything i my leg

• Posted

Thank you Tricia! My gut is saying to try to postpone a bit as well. I’m worried about walking in sand. It can only help to wait a bit. Thank you for replying and sharing with me. I hope your swelling gets better and you heal soon. 
  • Posted

I had ORIF on 3/13/18. Broken distal tibia and fibula. I bigg titanium rod,2 screws at the kbeww,3 at the ankle. I have been out the house 4 times,3 to doc,1 to mom. I'm still in bed elevated most days. I just started sitting with the leg down and going to the kitchen in my wheekchair. I'm 20% WB until I see doc on the 30th. Be patient,yoyr body is your own, we all will vary. I have PT twice a week,and I just do my ROM excercises.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.