Vaccinations...

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all....yesterday I had a flu shot and a pneumonia vacine.

I've had both before (pre-prednisone) and never had any side effects.

this am i awoke and felt like I'd been hit by a mack truck!

Achey, and flu-ish, headache and stuffy nose and also nauseous!

I called my doc and was told to just lay low today...drink lots of fluid...yada, yada, yada, YADA....!

has anyone else experienced this from a vaccine?

I've also got my eye surgery on Mon., so certainly don't need any problems!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hi lynda

sorry to read that the flu vac is having a negative effect on you..

my friend, who is also on PRED,( not for pmr) had the same effects, thankfully it only lasted for three days and she was back to normal..

hope you feel better soon..

Di

• Posted

thx rds...I just hope to feel better by Mon. I'm tired of not being able to see very well!

• Posted

Hi lynda i had just the flu jab, but was ok, nothing, it was the same last year as well.

i suppose we all act differently, you are having bad luck, hope you iprove, drinking plenty will hel(tho i know you know this).

• Posted

sorry wish he it peoplw wouldsort this forum out, it keeps reloading half way through, and my message always get muddled. just wanted to say take care, and once again best wishes for Monday

• Posted

If it's a second pneumonia shot it's almost certainly not the same one you had before and will be covering different strains so maybe that explains your stronger reaction?

• Posted

yes Anhaga....it is the 2nd or 3rd time I've haf yhis vaccine.

as an aside....it says I've got 5 replies, but when I scrolled down, your's was the only one! (not that your's doesn't stand on it's own!! lol)

but are there problems again on this forum? also, when I 1st posted this discussion, I was told it would have to be cleared by the moderator......I thought it was a fairly benign post!! ughhh.....

• Posted

Well here at any rate we are told that the pneumonia vaccine is a once in a lifetime shot - or at least will not need to be renewed for years, and there are only two, each of which covers numerous strains of pneumonia.

• Posted

Oh, no! I certainly wasn't told that (about pneumonia vaccines).

I sure hope it's ok as I had one last year as well. I've been coughing all day!

and I've GOT to have this surgery on Mon!😕

• Posted

"CDC recommends 2 pneumococcal vaccines for all adults 65 years or older.

You should receive a dose of PCV13 first, followed by a dose of PPSV23, at least 1 year later.

If you already received any doses of PPSV23, get the dose of PCV13 at least 1 year after the most recent PPSV23 dose."

So there should be injections for 2 consecutive years to get the 2 different vaccines. I believe the original one was to be repeated after 5 years, the new ones are lifetime.

• Posted

Some people do - it never bothers me but I've also never had two together, actually no-one has ever offered the pneumonia one! Some people theorise it is a sign your immune system has started producing antibodies to the vaccine. And we have an active immune system anyway.

And the most likely reason - you were hatching it already!

• Posted

My husband (not on Pred, very healthy) had the same reaction after getting both flu and pneumonia shots on the same day. He also recovered in about 3 days.

• Posted

thx Patricia....that's good to know! I'm still feeling pretty crummy right now....and I've still got surgery on Monday! ughhh...

• Posted

Take it easy. Cataract surgery not difficult.No problem. I send you my thoughts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.