vaccine

Posted , 6 users are following.

3 weeks ago I had my first outbreak of shingles.  How soon can someone get the Shingrix shot after a outbreak?  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I got shingles in May...lasted 3 months and my doctor suggested December-need to be clear of your shingles.  Good luck- shingles are horrible!

• Posted

Jeff,

There are varying opinions regarding the waiting period. In the UK, the National Health System would have you wait one year, and definitely your age70 years.

In the US, it is more individual, depending on the case. I would wait 6 months, if you have not had any recurrent episodes. As you have had Shingles, your insurance will cover it. If you are under 50, you will need a script from your physician.

FYI: One lady on this forum has chronic shingles, and had the 2 doses of Shingrex, and is recovering from Shingles.

I have recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles every three weeks in my right ear, and now it also occurs on my entire right scalp. I went ahead and received the Shingrex right after my last episode. I had no increased adverse reactions, but I did mount an immune response, based on my very sore right arm and constitutional symptoms of aches and pains and fatigue. I am not complaining, but happy I received it! Maybe, it will work on me.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Merry

I was told by my (now retired) GP, that the UK NHS systems `rations' access to anti Shingles jabs, with funding being the reason. I was two months off my 70th birtday when I got Shingles and PHN:-(  I have not seen any reference about Shingrex being available on the UK NHS system, or indeed under Private Health Schemes, although I think it has been approved for use in Europe? Have any other Brits talked to their Doctor or NICE about this ? Colin, England.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.