Vaccine for celiac disease!?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Do any of U know about/recommend the Celiac disease vaccine? And at what stage of Villi damage can the vaccine be of use?

I'm finding this disease extremely isolating, rarely do I go to a resterant without suffering afterwards. So I just don't go anymore. In order to have a meal that dosn't make me ill, I have to quiz the staff and no doubt irritated the cheff with a barrage of petty questioned, 'is the vinegars in the salad dressing pure malt, distilled malt or spirit,' 'is the mustard in the honey and mustard glaze wheat free?' most menues neglect to say!

I mostly eat raw unprocessed foods at home which works fine.

Also dose anyone know if this condition if primarily a female complaint? I hate to be viewed as an obsesive dieter as feal that the fuss is not only irritating to resteraunt staff but also off putting to potentials partners!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The vaccine is still being developed, so it will take some years at least before it's on the market.

I've had celiac disease for over 20 years and I must say I have never had a problem with vinegar. But maybe they use a different type of vinegar in the UK, I'm not sure. In any case, it is the restaurant staff's job to serve you and answer your questions; if they can't do this, it is a problem in their behavior and professionalism, not yours. If I don't know the place, I try to order meals where I can see what's what; fish and grilled meat is good, salads likewise. In time you will learn which sauces and foods are usually safe.

This condition does not affect mostly women, though there are other autoimmune diseases that do. Yet I believe there is some imbalance between sexes in celiac disease too. Further, this disease (and people having a dozen other special diets) is getting more and more common and already today is a must-know thing to restaurant staff in Nordic countries, for example. If you just explain that you have a strictly gluten-free diet, most reasonable people will understand and act accordinly. If you need to lunch or dine with your partners on a regular basis, find places that serve you well and go there.

By the way, for example sushi is always safe. If you are not sure about the soy souce (Kikkoman for example has proven that their soy sauces are gluten-free though it's made of wheat), bring your own tiny little bottle and use that.

• Posted

Pizza Express offer gluten-free food and Carlucio's will give you your own completely gluten-free menu to choose from - offering you a choice, even! (That's an unfamiliar feeling). Good old ham, egg & chips (just check the chips) is always good to ask for. Omelette is a good bet. Jacket potatoes with cheese 'n' beans.

However, the main thing I'd like to say to you is, that you need to get on your own side! By that I mean, stop feeling awkward for something that has been put upon you. This is not something that you have chosen. If a wheel-chair user came in to your restaurant and needed a particular easy-to-get-to table, would you think they were awkward? It's no different for you. You have a RIGHT to be given consideration and understanding for the position you are in.

• Posted

Thanks to you both for the last couple of comments; Very encouraging, and I’m pleasantly surprised to hear that some restaurants are offering a completely separate coeliac menu. I guess I’ve been blind to this entire subject prior to my diagnosis. The term ‘’Adapt and evolve’’ springs to mind! Next objective: Turn this obstacle into a challenge and get on with my life!
  • Posted

Go for it! As they say, it's not what happens that matters - it's how we react to it. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.