Vagifem

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have just read that Vagifem is classed as local oestrogen treatment and should not be confused with HRT not entirely sure what this means does it mean it is safer than conventional HRT

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Vagifem is for treatment of atrophic vaginitis specifically. The systemic E2 absorption isn’t significant enough for it to be considered HRT and it mostlikely wont get rid of systemic menopausal symptoms.
    • Posted

It does seem to give relief from the burning and irritation for a while after being administered though, are you saying that it is just a quick fix and the symptoms will keep returning, and it is not classed as HRT
    • Posted

I think she is saying that it will fix local vaginal and urinary symptoms but not other symptoms that affect the whole body such as hot flushes, anxiety, depression, lack of energy, etc.
  • Posted

Yes. Its effect is mainly local and very little is absorbed systemically into the rest of the body. Therefore it is considered lower risk than HRT tablets or patches and has less side effects (any side effects tend to be local such as irritation of the vagina).
    • Posted

This subject of hormones is so contraversial, I have just been reading that the ratio of estriol to estradiol determines if the estrogen is bad or not similar situation to good cholesterol and bad cholesterol.then it states bad estrogens contain low amounts of the substance estriol and high amounts of estradiol, I am trying to make sense of all this, I understand what local administration is ie little absorption into the rest of the body that is straight forward enough, and then the fact that estriol has been used in Europe safely for over 30 years and also possibly even protects against some cancers, however it is the ratio of the two which seems to be of utmost importance the balance as stated (Good estrogen) you would think that there was some general advice or concensus of opinion that women could access and relate to.

I know we are all suffering from different menopausal problems.

Sometimes I just feel like burying my head I sometimes resort to trying the stated good estrogens found naturally in food such as raspberries, soy beans sweet potatoes etc then when the pain comes back I just resort to vagifem, perhaps I am not persistent enough.  I have had one ML and I even feel negative about that now perhaps just one of those depressing off days.

• Posted

To much information isn't always a good thing. Yes, our hormones need to be in balance in our bodies for optimum health and maybe Mother Nature knows what's best for us and we shouldn't be interfering with the natural aging process of the female body. But honestly, I think that the balance of hormones applies to the body as a whole. If you are only using local oestrogen that has an effect on the local tissues only and I wouldn't worry.  I see it a bit like taking oral antibiotics -  which messes up the natural balance of good bacteria, bad bacteria and yeast in the body - as compared to just using antibiotic cream or drops locally.

Also - just do what's best for you! You know yourself better than anyone else - what's best for you? When I had my children everyone told me that they shouldn't sleep in the bed with me, they need to get used to sleeping alone. Why? Surely the most natural thing is for a child to be sleeping next to its mother, just as all the more primitive tribes still do now and we probably did for the 1000s of years we were hunter gatherers. The baby feels secure and comforted, the baby is protected by the mother and if it's hungry in the night it can latch on to a boob and suckle. My children each slept snuggled next to me as babies, sometimes on my chest, and both the baby and I slept very soundly through the night. Sod recommendations, I did what felt right for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.