Vagifem how it should be used

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am in the throes of the Mona Lisa treatment and would recommend this to anyone beg steal or borrow the money even just one treatment instead of the 3 recommended makes a massive difference.  When I saw the consultant he told me I had been using the Vagifem incorrectly - I started 2 years ago with one every day for 10 days then one every 3 or 4 days but by the time I saw the consultant I had upped it to every other day because of persistent recurrance of UTIs.,  He said that yes you should take it every day for 2 weeks then every 3-4 days for 3 months then take a months break before restarting every day for 2 weeks etc.  Thought I would post this as others may find it useful.

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What's the Mona Lisa treatment like does it help with being to resume intercourse which I've given up on completely due to pain. x

• Posted

Kathleen im so glad you wrote this, How understanding is your partner if you dont me asking, pm me if you feel more comfortable replying this way, Much appreciated. I ask this as im in the same  boat. painful intercourse. I had to give up on using the vagifem due to side affects sadly.

Sue x

• Posted

There is a product called YES - that offer water based and oil based organic products for this issue linda8751. Have you tried it.... The reviews are excellent, again for this issue
    • Posted

No I haven't heard of this I've had various things from doctor but if they have hormone like in HRT I react badly so now just use balance active.  It only hurts during intimacy really which has really put me off which is a shame especially for my partner. x

• Posted

Have read other peoples posts here re Mona Lisa treatment that haven't worked, great it has for you. I understand it has to be repeated... i.e is not a permanent fix so to speak ? i'm almost 70, and wonder if or someone my age would not work...

• Posted

I have just started using YES vaginal moisturiser and can honestly say it has helped with the soreness of every day but havent had the guts to have intercourse yet as it has been too painful.I want to use it for a bit longer before taking those steps.It would be worth a try,although could be expensive for the long term.To be honest its just nice to have some relief!!
  • Posted

Thanks Linda,  maybe if id been told this i wouldn't have ended up having to quit using the vagifem. I ended up getting slight period cramps pain and blood stained discharge,  I was never told to take a months break! Was told i had to stop using them. sad

Sue x 

• Posted

Susan 

im lucky that my partner is very understanding not to say that he doesn't wish it was different though. It would make him really happy if things were different but not much you can do when nothing seems to work.

kathleen 

• Posted

Kathleen thats good you have an understanding partner, some arnt as fortunate and put you on a guilt trip. I dont think they get it, that it really does hurt,making you feel as though your abnormal. I think the marriage vows should include till death or menopause  us do part.!  

Sue 

• Posted

I think he does sometimes find it difficult but he does try to understand.  He tries to make it into a bit of a joke and at least reminds me he's still interested in me. We've only been together since 2004 so he hasn't been with me through the best yrs health wise I have other health problems which he is also very understanding of. I'm lucky I suppose but then we all get older and problems can effect either sex.

• Posted

Hi Linda

My GYN doctor had me starting with Estrace  cream everyday for two weeks then Vagifem 2x a week.  He has not told me to stop for a month then resume.  If I did I would be miserable again.  If I forget my  Vagifem and don't take it  on time I start to feel some discomfort.  Did he say why to stop for a month?  I'm glad the Mona Lisa works for you....wish it was a guarantee that it would work for us all.  Atrophic Vaginitis is NOT nice!!

So glad we can share with each other!!

Best to all!🌺

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Linda. I've had vaginal atrophy for 6 years - off and off. Went months and months without and burning and pain. This past June it's back with a vengeance and won't leave. I was prescribed premarin estragyn estriol (compounded). None of them helped. I'm using vagifem 3x week - not great either. I even tried coconut oil and replens - both burned. I'm going back for the third time to the urgo gyno to ask her about Mona Lisa. And also because of bladder prolapse (oh the joys of menapause)!  I've read good reviews and bad so it's hard to make the right decision especially when you're paying a lot of money for procedure. If it would help it will be worth every penny. Some ladies say the burning is worse after, some say the probe was painful. 

Atrophy can ruin your life. I wish more research would be done  to find a soothing non hormonal cream to help with burning.  All natural,of course !

• Posted

Hi Arlee

how long have you been on the Vagifem 3 x week?  It does take a few weeks sometimes  more for you to feel normal again.....have to give it time.

I also wish there was more research to find something more natural....unfortunately seems like estrogen is all that works as that is what is lacking.  Why do we not hear more about this with so many other women that have gone through menopause?  Why do others just have dryness but no burning or discomfort feeling??

hopefully insurance will eventually cover the Mona Lisa to women that suffer from this in time.  !  I still want to give that treatment more time as it is still so new.  I would like to wait for long term results.

I wish you well!  If you have not given the Vagifem enough time to work....Hang in there until it does.

It's a blessing we all have each other.

Best,

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Arlee if you have any doubts just pay for the one treatment rather than all three at the same time.  You can do this at the clinic I used in Harley St with the consultation it would be be about £1000.  The probe itself is not that painful but the initial examination was very through and they have to put a gel inside, leave it for 5mins, and then wipe it out.  I found this quite painful and very intrusive especially as it is a stranger who is doing it.  All you feel is a little jolt about three times.  I was wobbly afterwards for a short while but think that was more nerves than anything else.  I also left it 8-10 weeks before having the second as I think they try and rush you to have them all but thats just my opinion.  I never want that burning constant pain and the recurring UTIs again.

• Posted

Hi Linda. I’d love to go to London but I live in Canada. They have Mona Lisa here and Diva Laser as well. I’m still waiting for more women to report how their treatments went. Because I’m so sensitive to everything,  I’m scared. 

In my opinion I wish more research would be done for vaginal atrophy. I know it’s not in the “big league” diseases, but it’s truly an awful condition to have. I find that many conditions , not only vaginal, are not given enough research. Sad 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.