Vagifem is burning my vulva.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi  my Gynaecologists  appointment finally came round and after a biopsy and examination she said I don't have LS even though I have white skin here and there.  She also said to start using a Vagifem pessary again as it can't be that that burns me also a mild steroid cream on the white parts. I told her that since this started 6 months ago every time I use the pessaries I burn.  Well it's three days now since starting them again and this morning I feel so hot and burning below and when I looked I had a thick cream coloured paste on my vulva which is the melted pessary, when I cleaned it off it was bright red where it had sat.  So it is definitely the Vagifem causing this.  Does anyone here have the pessary melting and not absorbing as I don't know what to do as she said she doesn't have to see me again as it only Atrophy (only Atrophy) !  I waited 3 months for this appointment which is so disheartening. Should I write her a letter explaining this.  Thank you to anyone reading this. 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

look up Anna Cabecca Julva cream, she is in US and is a long term gyno and has come up with this cream for atrophy that seems to help so many women. I know you must be feeling pretty low, been there. 

• Posted

marion68182,

Sounds like you have had a rough road. I'm wondering if compounded  bio identical ESTRIOL vaginal cream would be better for you. It is a more mild form of estrogen. It comes with a applicator that you insert at bedtime for 2 weeks and then as often as needed to keep tissues healthy.  Like once or twice a week. Might take a bit longer if you've been dealing with this for a long time. Your body isn't making the necessary estrogen to keep this area healthy anymore and once you get it under control you may have to continue a maintenance dose to keep yourself comfortable and your tissues healthy. Bio Identical Estriol is the safest of all estrogens and you might find great relief using it. Good Luck

• Posted

Regarding what you should do about writing your doctor etc. especially after waiting 3 months to get in for a dang appt. I would suggest calling the office and explaing how you feel like you have here. Let them know you are almost raw on the outside from this tablet sitting there and further irratating your most sensitive area. I would suggest to the receptionist to ask your doctor is there anyway she could prescribe something different such as the vaginal estriol cream that you cannot wait 3 months to see her again and your discomfort is unbearable. This is just my suggestion what I would do in your situation. You are in charge of your own health and what you do. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Marion

I just saw this.  Is passary a tablet?  As that is the Vagifem I use.  Are you inserting the tablet far enough inside?  My heart breaks for you.  You need for the doctors to care for you and for you to not suffer.....they need to help you especially after waiting for 3 months to seek help. My GYN had me insert Estrace for two weeks before I started the Vagifem.

please keep us posted

Wendy

• Posted

I seem to be very sensitive down there to any products. Everything I'd tried that is water based or contains hyaloronic acid stung or burnt. I could only tolerate natural oils, these kept me going for a while, but it became clear that the dryness was such that I needed to try a local oestrogen. I tried vagifem. It didn't sting or burn, but by the third or fourth day of use I had swelled up inside so much I couldn't get the applicator in. My GP and gynae didn't know why this was, but assumed I'd had some kind of reaction to it. When I stopped using vagifem the swelling went down. Then I tried ovestin cream and I get on fine with that. It has vastly improved the condition of my vag wall and made me moist again.

Definitely stop using the vagifem if you are having a reaction. If you keep using it you may do more damage and cause vulvodynia.

As for your gynae, she sound very unsympathetic. My GP and gynae advised me to stop using something imedicately if I have a reaction to it. All I can suggest is to change your gynae.

• Posted

I have been using Vagifem for almost three months.  I have awful vulva soreness and burning and having read your post I am wondering if it is caused by the Vagifem pessary irritating my vulva.

Thrush treatment, Dermol 50 lotion and YesVM not helping and I feel I need to keep passing urine but urine test was find.

Any comments really appreciated. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.