Vaginal Atrophy?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 47 and suffering through perimenopause as I have almost every symptom (migraines, hot flashs/cold chills, shorter periods, heavy two days periods, etc) . After taking seven months to recover from IBS and UTIs, my husband and I finally had sex. (In hindsight we should have used lubrication) Unfortunately, the sex hurt as I was very dry and a day later I had some dark blood spotting. The following week my minor soreness turned into constant and stronger pain in the vagina. I do not have any discharge and no peeing issues. Am I correct to assume this is vaginal atrophy due to perimenopause and not having sex for months? Interestingly, the pain is much worse after I take a hot shower and it hurts more to sit versus stand. I do have an appt with my OBGYN in two days - but I would love other women's thoughts on this matter. I am taking motrin and it helps some. Overall, the pain comes and goes. Thanks you so much!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Jude, Gigi and Maria (Thank you all for you insights and knowledge)!

Maria - I do use a daily probiotic and you are correct in that it helps you feel better systemically during perimenopause. It also helps with my horrible IBS.

I have started researching my area and I am unable to find a holistic doctor. I find holistic centers but they have yoga and reiki. How did any of you go about finding a holistic doctor? Any tips? Is there a website?

Thanks so much,

Jen

• Posted

Might start by calling those centers and seeing if they know of a holistic office that does bio identical hormone services. Also research alternative doctors. I live in a pretty rural area and there is several holistic and alternative offices here. I think people don't even realize they are out there until they start looking. Another place that should produce good results if you have any compounding pharmacies, call them and they should have a listing of places for you to call.

• Posted

im on the gold coast, was recommended by a work colleague. i also googled holistic gp snd found a few others in my city. good luck

• Posted

DId you try naturopathic or osteopathic physicians?

I don't see the term "holistic" used too much anymore. Maybe that's why you can't find them listed as such.

• Posted

yes have consulted naturopaths too, and will again in the future. i like the 'holistic doctor' at this point, find the medical experience as well as the natural medicines knowledge really helpful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.