Vaginal atrophy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all

i was prescribed the eostrogen pessaries for vaginal atrophy after the menopause by a gynacologist but as others have said it comes back when you stop using them. My problem is that i have terrible burning for a good 5-10 mins when ive used some of the over the counter non hormone products and ive tried a few incl replens, Ky and Boots chemist own brand gel.

wondering if anyone can recommend one that is known not to have this reaction .?

i havent tried Vagifem, Sylk or Balance Active....... any advice ?

many thanks

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

The product that I have found that actually works, no estrogen and no prescription needed is Gynatrof. You can get it from Amazon.

Give it a try.

Linda

• Posted

Vagifem works best for me but you cannot stop using the vagifem as once you are diagnosed with ATROPHIC VAGINITIS you have to keep using the Vagifem..... it takes several weeks for the discomfort to heal and go away....then you will feel normal again. Others use a compound cream or ESTRACE. The vaginal area needs the estrogen.......to heal.

Wendy

• Posted

THANKS wendy my gynae told me i could only use the vagifem for three months

• Posted

Why three months? You have to use the hormone cream as your body is not producing enough to avoid the problems that come with atrophy. If you stop using it the problems return. You need to ask your doctor what her thinking is.

I use a tiny bit of a compounded estradiol on my finger and put it at the vag entrance. I think it causes the skin to be somewhat sore. Just spoke with my gyn today and she said it's fine to use it every other night. Also to try mixing it with a little vaseline as the PH is perfect. The compounded cream is made with versabase which has no preservatives and according to the pharmacist the least apt to cause problems.

• Posted

I tried all the over the counter stuff first and had zero success with those. My gyno put me on Vagifem and I liked how it felt after the burning stopped (it was my first dose so it was going to burn) but I had horrible leg cramps. So now I use Estrace cream 2x a week, 1/2 gram and a pea size amount on the outer bits every night and I couldn't be happier. It seems we all have something different that works. I've been on the Estrace for a year now, and my doc says I can use as much or as little as I need for the rest of my life. But I also have no uterus, only my ovaries.

Good Luck! I hope you find something that works and that you're happy with!

• Posted

Hi Tezes,

I suffered badly with Atrophic Vaginitis after the menopause and tried lots of different remedies prescribed and unprescribed over a two year period and the thing that worked best for me was pure organic coconut oil, i am now lucky enough to be at a stage where i dont use anything anymore and everything is great in that area. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose, hope it works for you too.

Regards,

Sheila

• Posted

Hi Sheila, where do you buy the coconut oil from ?

Just wondered what ppl have found helps with atrophy without causing a burning reaction, thx

• Posted

Hi Shiela

You are very fortunate.....I am not aware of any ladies that have been successful in treating ATROPHIC VAGINITIS without estrogen.......

Wendy

• Posted

That's great! I used coconut oil (and still do), but it wasn't enough to reverse the atrophy. It's soothing though. According to my latest gyn (who recommends coconut oil), these remedies will make us more comfortable, but not reverse the atrophy (or LS if you have that).

I think the atrophy is a matter of degree. Have read we all get it after menopause, some more extreme than others. I had been warned by another gyn several years ago that AV could lead to more serious problems, but I thought I would try without the hormones as my sister had stage 4 breast cancer at the time. That doc prescribed Premarin and I really didn't want to use that. I hadn't realized there were other choices.

Instead of all the urinary tract problems some women report, I ended up with lichen sclerosis. Based on my experience, I would recommend women go with small dosage hormone cream as LS is an autoimmune disease that is not curable. My current gyn says the LS was caused by too little estrogen.

There are different theories out there, but....

• Posted

Hi Beverly and Ladies

When I was younger (before menapause) I never heard of Atrophic Vaginitis. The first time was when my GYN after examining at check up said I had AV and gave me sample of Vagifem..this was a few years after menapause. he didnt say much about it like it wasnt serious so because at the time I did not have any pain or symptoms i decided not to use the Vagifem.....months later i started to get alot of UTI's.......then I felt like I had UTI but urine tests came back normal ( that was the begining if symptoms of AV.) MY doctor told me i needed to take the Vagifem to correct the AV!......this time I started the VAGIFEM and it took several weeks to heal my vagina to start to rid of the awful pain and discomfort. I too was afraid to use Vagifem as it has low dose estrogen and my sister had breast cancer. My GYN assured me that it is low dose and it stays more local and not like HRT. I soon realized by trial and error that for quality of life i have no choice Iwill need this for the rest of my life. I am seen by my GYN and breast surgeon each once a year with Mammogram and sonogram to watch me closely....scary but what choice to I have...or we have. if no estrogen...there would be living life with pain and discomfort. we just need to be proactive with our health and checkups. unfortunately what else to we have for options. this gave me back quality of life.......

We are all in this together....to help each other and share !

Blessings,

Wendy

• Posted

hi ladies

i am wondering if i have lost the plot.

after 7 years pelvic pain always in the same place, where i think my ovary is., i have been prescribed eostrogen for vaginal atrophy.

i thought this was given to me to releive painful penetration.

wendy are you saying that va causes pelvic pain?

why are you ladies taking eostrogen in various forms.?

come to think about it i had a polypectomy 7 years ago and the surgeon made me stop taking my beloved hrt.

it all went downhill from then.

i have seen several gynnos (all men) except for this sweet lady a couple of weeks ago.

she even sent me for a mri which i am anxiously waiting results.

• Posted

Hello

Atrophic Vaginitis causes much discomfort in the vagina because of the lack of estrogen. it feels just like you have a UTI all the time. For me i was given VAGIFEM to treat the issue....Actually the doctor had me use ESTRACE cream for two weeks before starting the Vagifem 2x weekly.

Wendy

• Posted

I never had UTI problems after menopause, just uncomfortable pelvic exams to the point I figured it wasn't worth it. From what I understood they were no longer necessary after a certain age any, so I stopped having them. Just had annual mammograms. At that last exam (3yrs ago?) the gyn had prescribed the Premarin for atrophy which I decided not to use because of the exposure to estrogen. So three years later... I developed a fleeting vag infection and itch. Eventually went to see a new gyn (who was able to conduct a painless pelvic with a baby speculum) who diagnosed me with LS. I was astounded by this as I had no obvious discomfort. Thought what I had was simply atrophy.

I use a compounded estradiol cream, but am thinking of switching to estriol. When I asked my gyn she mentioned it's very popular in Europe and was fine with prescribing it. Got the impression she typically prescribes the estradiol, but she's very open.

I use a mild steroid for the LS. So far no major problems.

• Posted

Hi Beverly

What steroid are you using? I have to be on PREDNISONE 1 mg a day for urticaria.

I have my annual GYN checkup next month so i want to ask him about estradiol vs estriol........ i am happy with VAGIFEM and have no complaints...i just want to see if the estriol is safer. i would hate to switch and it not work well as VAGIFEM does......

Thank you for sharing!

Wendy

• Posted

I'm using Triamcinolone which is weaker than Clobetasol (which seems to be what most women use). My gyn's preferred method is to use a weaker steroid which you can then use more consistently. She said some doctor's like the whack it back hard approach, but she doesn't. As mine wasn't as severe as many women say theirs is, it has worked well for me.

I have read that the estriol is weaker & safer, but am about to do some more research before switching. My gyn says she's fine with that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.