Vaginal atrophy and laundry detergent

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive had vaginal atrophy for sometime. At one point it got so bad that i went to a dermatologist . They suggested to change my toilet paper to Angel Soft . And it worked. What a relief !!!! Recently I Started with a lot of irritation again and I was wondering if maybe it could be the laundry detergent. Has any body had any success with there laundry detergent ? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ! Hope you all have a Blessed week !

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hi

i neve use detergent to wash my knickers ever. plain water only. i find the toilet paper from waitrose doesnt irritate.

• Posted

Hi Sunflower,

I stopped using fabric softener and those thin dryer sheets becase I've read so much bad news about them. So far, my clothes are ok. Too soon to tell but I think if you eliminate every possible irritant then you are ruling out what it CAN'T be.

good luck

• Posted

Hi Eggbiscuit,

Thank you for your suggestion . I usually use tide for all my clothes but i wash my lingerie separate with hot water and also with tide and then hang dry. In your past experience have you had to change your detergent to maybe an unscented one to alleviate some of the symtoms ?

• Posted

Sunflower

I use Tide free and clear only ( no dyes or scents) and no fabric softener. Also, when you wee, instead of wiping, try blotting dry..

• Posted

I have generally moved away from as many chemicals as possible not only for this problem but because I know so many chemicals stay in our system and disrupt everything. I am better now, but unsure whether that is because I removed the fab softener and dryer sheets or whether it is the extra estradiol and moisturizing I have been doing. I am going to continue to stay away from dyes and extra chemicals. I figure I don't need any more chemicals. Everything in our lives is loaded with them and I know that is not good.

• Posted

Eggbiscuit,

I totally agree with you ! Thank you for taking the time to respond . Have a great week !!

• Posted

Gigi,

I am going to try the tide free and clear . Any suggestions on toilet paper , am using angel soft but Ive notice its leaving some lint which before it didnt .

Thank you for your advice . Have a great week !

tide free and clear

• Posted

Sunflower,

I only use Scott Comfort Plus.. it doesn't leave anything behind lol. And it absorbs (for me anyway) quickly so it's less time I spend blotting. I use a Cottonelle Flushable Wipes for bowel movements, the cleaner that whole area is the better. Also, if you haven't tried it yet, use organic coconut oil after going, it has natural antibacterial properties and it's very soothing, I use it in between my vaginal estrogen applications.

• Posted

Gina,

I have used coconut oil in the past but it can get quite messy lol . I was recommended Vit E suppositories but I havent tried that yet. I cant use estrogen creams because it might trigger my a fib . I went to the store and there was tide free and gentle and tide simply free and sensitive . Not sure which one to get . Thank you for the recommendations on the scotts , I will look into that .

• Posted

I have A-fib and high blood pressure and take heart medications for it, and a whole host of other issues not meno related. The Estrace Cream doesn't bother me one bit, it's such a minimal amount thats absorbed it's safe for cancer patients.

I don't use a ton of coconut oil just enough on the outer bits to keep the moisture.

Either of those Tides are good, I'd go with the sensitive formula since you can't tolerate hormones or the coconut oil. I've never used the Vit E suppositories so I can't speak to how well it works.

I hope some of these suggestions work for you!

• Posted

Hi Gigi,

I am so sorry that you have to deal with all theses diseases. I am so ever grateful for all the info you have given me. Next time I go to my gyn i am going to mention again about the cream . I think that they are just afraid to give me anything new. I am going to try theses suggestions and I pray that something will give. I hope you have a good week .

• Posted

I'm surprised the dermatologist didn't recommend a change to a "free" detergent along with the toilet paper. Definitely do that and absolutely don't use anything scented as a fabric softener. You can use dryer balls to fluff up your clothes (tennis balls work fine). I actually hang underwear to dry because I think it helps them to last longer and shrink less if they are cotton (assume you are wearing cotton underwear). Other than a dermatologist I assume you are seeing a gyn and are on hormone cream for the atrophy. I find the medicines also don't help with underwear longevity.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.