Vaginal Atrophy and the Mona Lisa Touch Procedure

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 59 years old and a breast cancer survivor. Have been struggling with symptoms of vaginal atrophy for some time but it has become worse lately. Vaginal creams (premarin, vagi fem) have helped minimally but really have no effect anymore. My doctor strongly recommends the new treatment called Mona Lisa Touch. A laser procedure done 3 times 6 weeks apart, only 5 minutes each, helps to rebuild tissue and create new blood vessels. It is supposed to be a life changer. FDA approved of it in 2014 so since it is still new, insurance is not covering it.....they actually call it cosmetic. Something that helps with pain, urgency, difficulty having sex, and eventually incontinence....and they calle it cosmetic??!! Anyway I am weighing pros and cons (only con is money) and wondered if anyone has experience with it.....thoughts??

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello Marianne,

Sorry to hear you are a fellow sufferer. There are a few threads here that discuss people's experiences with the Mona Lisa procedure. If you use the search engine, they will pop up.

Good luck and please share your experience if you do decide to have it done.

Kkay

• Posted

Hi  Marianne, I'm so sorry you are suffering. I have had 2 treatments thus far. I think it is helping.If you decide to go ahead, make sure the doctor has  of experience. I've written about my experience on this board.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I am leaning towards doing it. But it would figure that now I am symptom free.....so I am wondering if maybe I should not?? For several weeks I was having UTI symptoms but it was not UTI...just the atrophy. Of course I know there will never be intercourse with my husband if I don't do it. Ugg....and sorry probably too much info. Any way SOOOO glad you are feeling better, and that is definitely excellent advice about the doctor. 

• Posted

lol it's not too much info ! there are dozens of us here that understand completely. And yes I love the mona lisa is called cosmetic. This is real pain and real suffering far worse than many conditions. But most of my friends and family don't have a clue. and sex with my husband well I'm lucky he is sweet and understanding. It's going on a year now and I miss being close with him.

• Posted

I am glad I found this site.....there really is not one to talk to. I feel very alone. My husband is very understanding, but I have sent him a lot of info on the Mona Lisa, and he basically says its my decision.....but if very much affects both of us so its kind of making me crazy. I have done some more research on the Mona Lisa and did find a site that was more scientific, and spelled the facts out....instead of being presented as the greatest thing on earth. The facts are still very promising, the results positive, but it pointed out that it is relatively easy to pass the FDA standards for a laser procedure....as compared to gettina a pharmaseutical drug passed. And pointed out that the studies have not used any large numbers, and of course since it is new long term side effects are unknown. STILL....what other choice really is there. I can stay on the premarin and it does manage the uti-like symptoms, but there will never be sex again. Right now our lives are hectic and stressed and to be honest we have sadly just learned to be close without it. But I feel like I should do the Mona Lisa to give us this chance.....
  • Posted

Hi everyone, l just got my yearly tune-up. Slight discomfort like the other times but no problems. I discussed the issue of my recurrent yeast infections. She is a renown authority on the Mona Lisa and goes all over the world lecturing about it. She was in on the bottom floor so to speak. She said that it is now recommended that people like me get more treatments than just the three plus one yearly. There is a study going on about this too. So I get another one in 6 weeks and then will try to get off the yeast medication. Still $500 at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. I am blessed not to have financial problems. When I paid for the next treatment the financial lady said they have had lots of women do this in the last year and the Dr said her patient load has increased by 25% just due to them. But they have no ide when insurance will start to cover but eventually after all these studies it should.
    • Posted

Hello Jean, thank you for your reply to us, and me! I got in on these discussions as a latecomer I think so I don't know your history, but it sounds like it could be similar to mine. The treatment is more expensive where I live, but not a lot. Mine has to be all paid upfront, which hurts the bank account. It sounds like you think the ML is a good thing, and you have benefitted from it. So that is really good to hear. It also sounds like alot of women are seeking this treatment, but not talking about it. When I saw my doctor he had already done three that day! Anyway thank you, each post I read gives me hope, and support.

• Posted

I have posts all over these boards and the Mona Lisa discussion too. Just a word of caution. This is not a miracle cure especially if you have advanced atrophy like me. It took all three treatments plus about a month after the third one to feel improved. but, everyone is individual. I still have to use Vagifem twice a week too. But before the treatments I could use Vagifem everyday for months and feel no improvement. Again, everyone is very different. My Dr. has gotten a lot more flexible since she started doing these. Now she doesn't make you wait a year for a tune-up but a person can come in after 6 months . She lets you decide based on your symptoms how many you need. She told me today that there are women  who get more than the initial three, But then, she is the researcher and other Dr's may not feel the same.  

• Posted

Thank you, and I appreciate the word of caution....this is part of my hesitation. I know its not a "fix all" and knowing me.....I'll be the small percentage of women who do not see adequate improvement. That would be typical. When I had breast reconstruction there was a 1% chance of having a blood vessel burst after the surgery thus causing pain complications and a surgery to repair......and I was that lucky one percent. My doctor is not an average GYN, he was one of the few in the country who did sub cervical hysterectomies years before anyone had heard of them. He is brilliant, and I trust him. He believes it is my best course of treatment. However, for me it is just not that easy of a decision to make. Upon examination, he said that mine should be straightforward. So as much as one can know ahead of time I think I would be within that range of just needing the 3, then follow-up once a year or so. Another issue I have is that in a year I will be moving. But one thing at a time. Just need to make this decision!! Wish I didn't agonize over every decision, and wish also I could separate out the money issue from the health/lifestyle issues. 

• Posted

Good Luck. Not everywhere has this treatment so if you move, you may have to travel to get it. i am just the opposite of you. i make decisions and go for it.

• Posted

Jean, thank you for all of this info, its so helpful. Do you think you could share the name of your doctor and where she is? If the thread doesn't allow it, you could send it in a message, I'd really appreciate it.

Glad it has worked for you so well. I am much better than I was but unable to miss even a single day of vagifem, am still using it every day, for 6 weeks now. All the symptoms come roaring back if I miss one dose..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.