vaginal atrophy burning / ecoli UTI won't go away!

Posted , 31 users are following.

My story is long, so I am going to condense it as much as possible. I just turned 60 'years young'! I've reached out to a few boards for help/advice as I have suffered through self diagnosing my condition for about 5 months now - although I've been to urologists, gynecologist, urogynecologist, Nurse practioner specializing in Interstitial Cystitis, etc. 2 cystoscopies, 2 ER visits when burning started last November...I am circling back to my initial diagnosis back in November of 'severe' vaginal atropy.  After 5 months and 4 rounds of antibiotics for ecoli UTI after cultures, I 'still' have burning (frequency is better after antibiotics, but few days after done that comes back sometimes-oxybutnin did nothing)  I have been on premarin cream 3x week applied to urethra and 1/2 tube - small amount, inserted in vagina. All this time I thought burning was coming from urethra because pain was intense when tube was inserted into urethra for both cystoscopies.  But now I am thinking the burning is actually coming from my vagina and not urethra because I inserted an icecube into the vagina and then I couldn't feel the burning! Is it possible that the premarin cream 3x a week isn't enough and I need the Estrogen ring or patch? Could I be burning still from the atrophy (they said it was very bad) and could the ecoli be coming from my vagina into my urine and showing positive at culutre (never positive in lab, only  culture).  The ecoli infection is antibiotic resistant - tried nitrofutonin, macbroid and sulpa trim...something ??? Urologist now wants me to take a low dose antibiotic every day and I hate to do that if this is all because of my vaginal atrophy.  Sorry for rambling,just so frustrated!  Does anyone have anything to share/help if they have had a similar experience. Nothing is helping the burning, except I live with a cold pack 24/7 - even sleep with one!  Vagisil burned worse! Had all the tests for STD's yeast, etc. I've heard of vulvedonia (sp?)...not sure. Going back to Gynecologist on April 15th.  Thank you so much!!

3 likes, 83 replies

83 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

OMG I have the exact same problem, E-Coli infections and extreme burning, I am on a low dose of Macrobid for it but it keeps coming back, I can't ride my bike or go out in the hot weather cause my vagina burns so bad I can't stand it, I go to the gyno tomorrow cause I read about vaginal atrophy and I'm sure that is what I have, but I'm afraid the exam is gonna make me burn too, cause any kind of friction on my vagina makes it severely burn. I hope something will help me, and you too.

• Posted

Wow, this has got to be one of the longest threads on this site.

Joanna, I will recount to you what I have written on other threads re my infections & atrophy.

My problems started around menopause. Had an "infection" : red, very sore, burning. Had a few similar problems in the past; was prescribed Flagyl by my wonderful, older male gyno (since retired). Therefore I requested it from new gyno, but she said she could not prescribe it as nothing was showing in tests that would warrant it. Instead I took everything possible and all did nothing. I was in agony for 5 years. When I told my GP he (without question) prescribed the Falgyl and the infection disappeared. Never forgave myself for listening to the gyno or her for her stubborness.

One thing she had me try was hormone cream but that made it worse. (She wanted me to go on HRT at menopause because she thought it was the answer to everything, but I did not agree.)

Was fine for many years, then AV issues started to increase (there were signs of thinning which is why the hormone cream was prescribed when I had the infection). Only problem was exams becoming more & more intolerable (no sexual partner). My latest gyno wanted me to use Premarin cream to prevent worse problems, but I now have cancer in my family & want to avoid hormones.

Since menopause began I have also had intestinal issues that I have tried to control with diet, enzymes, fiber, probiotics, herbs, etc. Am constantly readling and googling and came across kefir this year. Since drinking it, my intestines are the closest to normal that I ever remember. I am lactose intolerant, but kefir is 99% lactose free so I have no problem with it. I drink only a juice glass or less a day as I think more actually constipates me. I consider it a miracle. I got a friend with lifelong constipation to try it and he is cured! The point of this is I believe our guts can be tipped completely off balance by antibiotics (which we all have been given throughout our lives) and we then try curing those new problems with more antibiotics. It might be possible that if you balance your gut by drinking the kefir (tastes like yogurt but has more live cultures; you can get flavored or make your own) you may feel better. It is worth a try and can do no harm.

When I was in the throes of the infection I made an appointment with an out of state women's clinic. They were convinced my problem was an overgrowth of yeast which was probably coming from my intestines and affecting the vagina. They put me on a yeast free diet, supplements and anti-yeast meds. I had taken the Flagyl just prior to seeing them so it was impossible to tell if their treatments did anything, but it did have a short term effect on my intestines. Again, they felt what was in your gut can affect your vagina.

So you might want to try drinking kefir to see if helps at all. If not I think the Mona Lisa laser is absolutely worth looking into. I have been following those that have had it (mostly with success). If I start to have any problems beyond the slight burn that I get, I will have the ML.

I am also now using one Vit E capsule a night vaginally. Works well. Also use cocunut oil externally now & then. 

Best of luck. I have nothing but sympathy for all of you with these problems. I was so unhappy during the 5 years of the infection it's a wonder I did not end up on depression meds (it was suggested!).

Alternative medicine believes in balance and I think they are correct. Unfortunately western medicine seems to reject the idea. I was cured of a 12 year shoulder problem by acupuncture so I am definitely a believer in trying other forms of "medicine".

• Posted

I have had this exact problem from 2015-2016. 2 bladder infections per month for a whole year. Also the severe dry and burning vagina. The urine for C & S was not ecoli but strep B. Common in pregnant women or seniors over 60. The antibiotiic for ecoli doesn't work. You need pen vk or levofloxacin, cephalex.

I also had a problem with my thyroid . I was at the Dr. at least 3 x week crying in vag pain, and UTI and they treated me like I had nothing wrong because test were not blood in urine. They did not take the strep B serious as every one has it. But my immune system was gone due to personal stress and my thyroid medication was too low. I kept telling them how fatigued I was. I would pass out on my lunch hour for 20 mn. into the depest sleep. not normal. Finally my thyroid med was increased and I started getting better. I went to a menopausal gyne and a urologist and a gyne-urologist. I was so sick I am finally not getting urethreral burning afer having it for a year. Today I went to my uro-gynecologist and she wants me to take vagi fem, forever.

That doesn't sit well with me I was suppsed to be taking it but I didn't for 6 months. She said I have vag atrohy. I can't justify taking a dangerous hormone for what I think is a natural process in woman . My burning is non existant . Very rare. I would like to know how many woman take these vaginal suppository for ever?

• Posted

Your story is my story I suffered for over five years UTIs treatment for interaistal cystitis which I didn't have. I had the Premarin cream I did absolutely everything I must've been to six different doctors in the end the only thing that helped me was the Mona Lisa treatment which is a laser done on the vagina and inside and since that time I have not had a UTI I think the vagina and the your wreaths are so close together … Anyway nothing else worked I had to pay for the Monalisa out of my own funds I had researched it and then talk to my gynecologist urologist and she thought it was an excellent treatment but it was not covered by insurance I am in the US in California can't say enough about this treatment and it should be covered

• Posted

Well, it is very interesting as I don't want to use vagi-fem and I seen my urogynecologist today. I asked about Mona Lisa touch and she had negative comments. She said woman come to her after with burning problems.She urged me stronly to take the vagi-fem which I will need for the rest of my life she said. I am not believing it after all the good reviews I read about Mona Lisa touch and dangerous warnings about vagi-fem. When I get the money I will do the Mona Lisa touch. I wonder if Dr.s get kick backs from the pharmaceutical company for each pt. they write an RX for.

• Posted

I bet they do. The hormones are not good can't depend on doctors. Have to do our own research.Good luck to you. It is so hard to live with

• Posted

Hi Joanna, what a nightmare! First, I would suggest you stop going to different doctors. If you feel comfortable and that the urogynecologist is good, I would suggest sticking with that one. The old two birds with one stone thing. Also, I would suggest seeing a gastroenterologist, just in case. Like you said, things are close together down there. esp with the e coli. I went thru this in 2000-2001. My gyn assured me everything would be fine after my hysto, not. I took oxybutinin for how many years? It was finally so bad, the pain was throbbing thru the entire vulvar area. Stopped that and magic, pain gone. It worked for a long time tho. 

Are they giving you any pain meds? If not, i would suggest, if you have this chronic pain, requesting one. (no it does not make you a drug addict, not if you hurt). You could become physically dependant, and they do cause constipation. Hopefully, you wouldn't have to take them that long. 

Now, when you stick with this urogyn, insist on appts. INSIST. It is your body and your pain, your illness. There are lots of bacteria that are now resistant to antibiotics that in past they were not. I do not know about e coli. Instead of diagnosing yourself, when the doc prescribes an abx, ask to see the c&s. (culture and sensitivity). Go home, get online and look up the abx (antibiotic). If the premarin cream is not working, will the doc switch to oral? And if no, why not? 

It's a good idea to write your questions/concerns down before you go in. Can't remember everything esp when nervous or uncomfortable. Ice is good, just put some cloth between you and it to not irritate the tissues.

Good luck, keep us informed.

• Posted

With Vaginal Atrophy can you get vaginal pain with that or is it just buring?
  • Posted

Omg this is like exactly what I have been living with and I am so frustrated. I do have interstitial cystitis. But my bladder feels bruised all the time I can't get over uti's get on antibiotics then I get yeast under breasts and under abdomen. I burn constantly in my urethra and I'm sick of it! I need help!!! My urologist tells me to eat right sad are u kidding me ....

• Posted

Mona Lisa laser is the only thing that works. This is physical. Diet can't help. Creams Premarin nothing works. I asked my uti gyn after I found it in the internet. I have not had a bladder infection in a year. Insurance will not cover it. I paid 2500. Beg borrow or steal it.

• Posted

Did u have it done? I've got to do something I've had the Interstim until the battery died. I'm dying my husband is cranky all the time I just can't go on like this. Thank you for your help.

• Posted

I did and it changed my life. Was sick and in antibiotics all the time. Google mona Lisa treatment and research . I am

In California

• Posted

Hi joanna, i am sixty too and have gone through the same thing my doctor diagnosed me with a immune disorder after rulling out cancer. She put me on a stetiod cream amd after about 3 months it got better and just went away. I too went through early menopause and dried up down there. I finally found a harmone doctor that has put me harmone pellets for the last 5 years. Myself and my husband has been quite happy with the results. This year I did have to have kidney surgery and had a stint for 30 days. Have not been normal since, continuous uti that just wont stay away. Doc is considering a continuous antibodic for a year. Not happy. Good luck, hope it is better. I wish I could remember the name of the desease but it caused horrible itching, burning, and sex was off the table.
  • Posted

Google Mona Lisa laser treatment. I went thru The things you were talking about for a five-year period E. coli UTI is diagnosed with intersytal cystitis and then found out that wasn't it. Was vagunal atrophy and nothing worked not the Premarin not anything for a long period of time I discovered the Mona Lisa laser treatment and talk to my uro gynecologist you was for famiar with it but did not have access to it and it is not covered by insurance she referred me to a private doctor and I paid to have it done it changed my life nothing else ever did

• Posted

I go Monday to a new Urologist that says he will help me!!! He also does the Mona Lisa ... so excited!! So excited talking with you ladies . I will let you know what I find out.
    • Posted

I had my third mona Lisa in April of this year and have not had a UTI or pain since I wish you the best of luck keep me posted after you talk to the doctor take your
    • Posted

8 months. No uti. Had one after the other for years. Grateful every day. I had journaled and go back and see it went in for years
    • Posted

Sounds absolutely wonderful and beyond reach!! I had my renal ultrasound today. Scheduled for cystoscopy on January 3rd. Several new treatments to try when come from my mail order. Bladder instillation and all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.