vaginal atrophy finally finding some relief

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been struggling for years with vaginal atrophy with severe pain during intercourse. After years of failed attempts with estrogen creams I gave up. I was depressed and beating myself up over the whole thing. Doctors gave me so many mixed messages. I've researched so my different treatments. I finally just gave up. This year I decided to take back my life. I went to a new doctor. She talked me into using the estradiol ring again. I would use it for three months then use a higher dosage if needed. A month into it....nothing. I remember her making a quick comment ....if this doesn't work then you can have your vagina stretched....??? at the moment I thought.. no way! But I did some research and learned that dilating the vaginal cavity is a real thing and should be part of the treatment!! I purchased dilators on Amazon. It's been a few weeks of every night using the dilators, it's grueling...I hate it....lube is messy...... but success!! For the first time in years I have had intercourse with very little pain....lots of lube but no pain. Thanks for letting me share.

2 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Great news, I am also using dilators with much success. In addition, I am seeing a physical therapist who stretches the internal muscles. If you have insurance it is usually covered. You may want to also try pelvic floor PT. All the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.