VAGINAL ATROPHY/PAIN/DRYNESS AFTER SURGICAL MENOPAUSE

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello Ladies ? I'm hoping that one of you lovlies can advise or help me...........After a double mastectomy and removal of both ovaries and tubes, 7 years ago, I went full steam ahead, into a surgical menopause. All the usual hot flushes, insomnia, tears, tantrums and depression followed. I expected some loss of moisture in my lady garden, but not the dry wilderness it has become. Due to health issues, I can't take HRT, but was prescribed Vagifem which hasn't helped. I have not had intercourse with my amazing hubby for almost 5 years, as, to put it bluntly, it's like being jabbed with a red hot poker😔 I have bought a Femmax vaginal dilator kit, which has 4 varying sizes of smooth hard plastic dilators, but having trouble even with the smallest, which is about the size of my middle finger. I've purchased everything from Replens, Vagisil Internal/External gels, Sylk, Yes etc and am now at the next of my tether. Please, please help if you can. I am lucky that I have a caring patient hubby who reassures me and who I find other ways of loving, other than intercourse. I feel desolate and deprived of a loving sex life, as I am starting to even close my mind to the prospect of ever feeling "Normal" again.........Thank you xxxx

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sweety, Suki and Wendy

i have just found this forum. Sweety like you I had a mastectomy 4 years ago due to high oestrogen fed cancer. I have felt so alone suffering excruciating pain, burning, stinging and itching deep inside my vaginal area. I have had numerous tests and investigations for these issues and all come back negative. I have a cupboard full of lotions and potions that I have religiously tried and all seam to make the problem worse. I have not tried any of the creams you have mentioned however my oncologist will not allow me to have anything that contains any form of oestrogen. Intercourse is an impossibility. Thankfully like yourselves my husband is very understanding. Please can anyone help I'm so desperate  thank you xx

• Posted

Hello Butterfly

My heart goes out to you...and only wish I could recommend something more to help you feel better and for you to be able to have quality of life.  We all have been there feeling the awful discomfort with Atrophic Vaginitis.  Vagifem is what I must use to take away discomfort and it took a few weeks to feel normal again.My sister had breast cancer so I am a bit concerned but the Vagifem is what I need to have quality of life.  You may have read about the Mona Lisa Treatments for VA.....you might want to look into that.  It seems to work for some women and not for others.  The treatments are not covered by insurance and can be expensive.  Since your doctor is advising you against any estrogen you might want to look into the Mona Lisa treatments.  Vagifem and other creams are suppose to stay in the area......low dose. 

Please let us know how you are and keep us posted in what you find that will help you.  

I wish you well Butterfly🦋

Blessings,

Wendy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.