Vaginal burning/soreness

Posted , 4 users are following.

I live in the UK and would like some advice please.  I'm seeing my GP this morning and going to ask for an internal examination.   I feel very sore and burning sensation and yesterday I inserted a tampon, as I pulled it out it was very painful to remove and then saw a faint tinge of pink on it.  I'm 55 and last year I had a uterine polyp removed and thought everything was ok until now. What could these symptoms point to?

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I hope you got some answers from your doctor today. It could be vaginal atrophy as I had some blood when I had a tear ( I'm 62) but then it could be a lot of things. Let us know what your doctor said

• Posted

GP has put it down to vaginal atrophy and has told me to carry on using the prescribed cream once a day and she said if i get pain (or bleeding) after sex then i should go back and she will prescribe the oestrogen cream called Vagifem.   It's weird because although i get a slight coloured discharge it must be very dry 'up there' as otherwise it wouldn't have hurt when removing the tampon.

• Posted

Your symptoms could be the result of so many different things. I know because I had the same symptoms and spent a ton of time looking before my gynocology visit last week. You are doing the right thing to see the doctor and have a pap smear and urinalysis to rule out infections. In my case it was vaginal atrophy that had worsened. He had previously prescribed vaginal estrogen that helped for awhile. However it was really like a band-aide. On my recent visit he told me about the Mona Lisa Touch procedure that involves a laser treatment outpatient. There are 3 procedures 6 weeks apart. It creates new blood vessels, and rebuilds tissues, and has been described as a life changer. Just an idea for you to research in case it is atrophy. In my case I was not able to take estrogen tablets due to a history of breast cancer. So my vagina sort of shriveled up...ugg. I feel hopeful now though! Good luck to you, I hope it is something you can address and are able to feel better soon. If it is atrophy, there seem to be more options than ever now. Take good care!
  • Posted

I'm in the states, but had something similar. I had to go through a series of tests. They found polyps, but the spotting was really due to atrophy. I had a tear. Since then it has healed using Hydrocortisone cream.

I've found it's important to be careful wiping! Patting works better and pre-moistened "personal wipes" designed for cleansing work great. Keep the area clean after peeing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.