Vaginal discomfort for years, not sure what to do?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone

This is my first time here and this is the only time I've told anyone about my problem.

For years now, my vagina has been unbearably itchy. In previous years it was more towards the inside of my vagina but now it's just the labia, the lips and more recently, the hood of my clitoris (which is probably the most uncomfortable). There's also so much white discharge that i have to wear a panty liner or change my underwear multiple times a day. A quick search and you would know that it's just vaginal thrush and quite common. However I've got another problem, the part I'm most embarrassed about and why I've kept quiet. The smell. It's just horrible. My vagina (and anal area for that matter) is constantly moist and just smelly. It's to the point where if I squat or sit in a position where my legs are even slightly open, a nasty odour can be sensed. This has caused me such self-esteem issues because I feel dirty even if I'm constantly keeping up with hygiene. It just doesn't make any sense.

This problem confuses me because I seem to have symptoms of both vaginal thrush and vaginosis. Is it one or the other? Is it both at the same time? Is it something completely different? If I was to be given antibiotics wouldn't it worsen the thrush? If I use thrush trratment, how would I get rid of the smell?

A little bit of info on me:

- I have eczema

- I'm a young adult

- I'm a virgin and plan on remaining that way until marriage

- I used to wash my private parts with soap (even before the infection started) until I learnt that it could worsen the infection.

- I wash my privates with water multiple times a day

- I also use dry toilet paper

- the smell is the most unbearable during menstruation

- My vagina (and anus) is the most itchy while on my period. I don't know if it's because of ther actual period or sensitivities to pads.

- I might have a yeast imbalance? I've got dandruff (which I'v not always had) which I assume to be because I have quite dry skin in general, but apparently I'd caused by yeast. Evidence for this is multiple of very tiny skin coloured spots on my forehead, which can be itchy sometimes.

Just to summarise my problems:

-Itchy and smelly vagina (and anus)

- excessive white discharge

- overly moist vagina (and anus)

Sorry if it's a lengthy read.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, have you been to see a GP for a clear diagnosis? Appreciate it might be embarrassing but is really the first step to getting it sorted 
    • Posted

I haven't. How would they go about the diagnosis. I know they might do a swab test but would have to literally sit there with my legs open for the doctor? I just feel extremely uncomfortable about the idea.

• Posted

Sure. But it’s only a short term discomfort compared to it continuing undiagnosed for you. Your health is of the highest importance and it’s something all women have to go through at some point or other 
    • Posted

Believe me, doctors have seen thousands of vaginas with many different problems some far more gross than yours. I don’t know how old you are but at some point you will have to go for a pap smear test every three years to test for signs of cervical cancer which could save your life so it is very important to have that. And if you plan to have children then when you are pregnant your privates will be inspected, poked and prodded so many times it will just become commonplace. When I was in labour (which wasn’t going smoothly) I had so many people stick their fingers up my vagina to feel my cervix I felt like saying why don’t we just invite the whole hospital and have a feel the cervix party! Honestly, if you are female you are going to get problems with that area, you are going to need tests and basically what it comes down to is that your health (and, if pregnant, your baby’s health) is more important than your dignity for a few minutes. 

You can ask for a female dr if you prefer. Usually in the U.K. it is the practice nurses who take vaginal swabs anyway. If you tell them it is your first time, they will take this into account and be extra gentle. It doesn’t hurt, just feels a bit odd the first time. They will insert something called a speculum which they use too open up your vagina so that they can see inside to take a high vaginal swab using a long cotton bud and also have a look at what may be going on. You just have to lay back with your knees up and relax.

I once had a biopsy taken of my cervix (they had found some possibly precancerous cells with a smear test). A male gynaecologist did it and he had a young male trainee with him and my husband was also there and my vagina and what they were doing to it was shown on a big tv screen! No room for modesty when it comes to vaginal health!

• Posted

You must get a diagnosis of this problem before it turns into something worse. I had persistent and recurring thrush infection which traumatised my vulva skin and caused vulvodynia which is a hyperactive and hypersensitive condition of the nerves characterised by a constant severe burning feeling, but can start off as itching. All nerve problem are notoriously difficult to get rid of, debilitating and have a severely adverse effect on ones quality of life, ability to function on a daily basis and sleep and vulvodynia is no exception. It is imperative that you get a diagnosis and proper treatment. On this forum we could hazard a guess but with out proper tests being done by doctors it would just be a guess and may result in you taking the wrong treatment path by yourself and making things worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.