Vaginal dryness

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have auffered with this now for a few years and it is interfering with my life a lot.  I have been given various prescriptions. Vagifem gives me really bad tummy pains so gave up and just used balance active.  Recently my smear test was due but I'm now so bad my doctor couldn't do it.  She gave me a new treatment Ovestin which I used every 3rd day and wheni thought I was OK with it I upped it to daily but then yet again the tummy pain got really bad.  Has anyone had any success with other treatments.

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathleeen

oh hun, i feel your pain..

i am post meno ( no HRT age 50) 

now i have ovestin cream ( i live in spain ) my Gyno suggested it just for the dryness.

i found it messy, and i only at first used half of the measurement.

i can relate to you saying your tummy aches, i feel a heaviness in there, but i also have a mild very slight prolapse of the uterus .. So never sure if it that causing the slight tummy pain.

anyway use the cream also on the outer bits and around the vag entrance to keep it all plump so to speak and nourish the thinning skin.

i now just use the cream for the outer bits and use the ovestin vaginal ovules internally, but not sure if you can get these where you are, these are much nicer, and i split  mine in half and use them occassionly ..

maybe two halves a week at the moment ..

now then, the next best thing is in my opinion premeno duo ovules from stress no more uk site, these are non hormonal and moisturise you internally, i also use these.

they are ovules and not messy like cream and the best non hormonal i have used .

i will PM you the link its a good site and sells lots of things for womens problems etc 

jay x

• Posted

I am still thinking whether to have a go at ovestin cream but since I read about  premeno duo ovules Inthink I might give it a go.  Jay, where do you buy yours, the cheapest is from Amazon at £12?  Ido not feel any dryness from vagina on the contrary I feel it is moist as I have slight discharge.  My main problem is constant burning and abdominal discomfort.  I want to try  premeno duo ovules as suggested by lots of sufferers from this forum.  Quite expensive, do you start with 1 for 10 days and then 1 every three days.  Some people said you can cut it in half.  Any suggestions anybody pl?  Thanks
    • Posted

Hi 

no not amazon they are expensive 

i will send the link

• Posted

I have private messaged you the link marie 

tip for spliiting any vaginal ovule in half 

keep it in the blister wrap and cut through middle with sharp knife if you want to half them... Do not take from the blister wrap as if you cut it then it will flake and split 

i never did use them as they say.. I just use when i feel like i need one 

jay x

• Posted

You say burning and abdominal comfort ? 

Not BV is it 

Vaginal Ph too high ? 

I had that ( no odour) but a watery milky discharge 

it was picked up at a pap smear result ..

i also check my vaginal Ph regulary and its always fine now after treament 

i use the eco care comfort vaginal PH home testers 

jay x

• Posted

General useful info

pH refers to the vagina's acidity level. A vaginal pH of 3.5-4.5 indicates that there is a perfect amount of good bacteria (lactobacilli), and no overgrowth of the bad bacteria that can cause odor, irritation and sometimes infection. What makes pH rise higher than 4.5? There are a surprising number of triggers that can upset the vaginal ecosystem:

Menstruation: Blood has a pH of 7.4, so during your period, vaginal pH becomes elevated.

Tampons: Since they retain the fluids that cause pH to increase, tampons can contribute to the problem.

Intercourse: The pH of semen is 7.1 to 8.

Douching and cleansers: Any vaginal infusion of water or other fluids can affect vaginal pH. The pH of water is 7, and fragrances and perfumes can also irritate the vagina.

Menopause or pregnancy: These are times where hormones fluctuate, which is associated with elevated pH.

• Posted

NO BV, urine and vaginal tests came neg.  No smelly discharge, I just feel moist.  I wonder whether is AV I have got as gynae did oestrogen blood tests and this was normal and he did not mention AV.  I do feel as if I have got infection but tests are neg, what can I do, I will give the ovules a go.
    • Posted

Hi marie 

not sure what to say then hun..

i had watery white type of moisture discharge, didnt have any odour at all.

just feel burny sore and not right, my Gyno said i had vaginal atrophy and then later after smear result i had BV and mild thrush too 

all is fine now after treamtment and i always take acidophilus oral probiotic twice a day too..

hope you feel better soon ..

Its soooo miserable  when you dont quite feel right down there 

jay x 

• Posted

Hi Jayneejay, I know it's a while ago but please can you send me the link to the Premeno duo ovules, as you said that they were expensive on Amazon. I've been suffering badly with AV for 10 months and the Ovestin both my GP and the consultant have told me to use is not working. Thank you.
  • Posted

Thanks for your advice Jay - I too am post menopause at 56 been without monthly periods for 6 years.  I never had HRT but now this problem is awful and everything the doctor gives me seems to upset me so I am just not getting any better. The things that just lubricate don't help me at all.  So fed up of it and feel so sorry for my partner he's a saint really.

kathleen 

• Posted

have you tried YES, it may help with your vaginal dryness, also are you drinking enough water. I have just started taking actimel and acidopholis to help with my stomach, andat the moment I have stopped HRT patches

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.