vaginal dryness

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am on my 5th day of  vagifem and the entire area is itching like mad with mild burning.  I also suffer from Lichen sclerosus and i am sure it has just triggered this back off again.  I dont know what to do, should i continue.  Is there anyone who knows of natural alternatives.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I began using an estrogen cream that is very soothing.  It is inserted internally, and a bit can be used on outside tissues.  There are only 2 brands:  Estrace and Premarin.  Talk to your doctor.  Like the pill you start once a day for 2 weeks, then twice a week.  I am told to see my doctor after 3 months to review progress.  If your doctor cannot help you resolve your specific problem, go to a different doctor for a second opinion.
  • Posted

It can't hurt to try using coconut oil (I use it for everything and especially for any external discomfort or vitamin E oil (just get the capsules, pierce them with a pin and spread the oil on the external areas) I use E internally and externally.  But it might be best to call your doctor and see what they recommend first..they may tell you to stop using the product you are using.  Maybe it is too strong - your vaginal tissue may be too fragile for it right now.  If you can't reach your doctor talk to your local pharmacist....they might be able to recommend an over the counter product that will relieve your discomfort until you can talk to your doctor.   
    • Posted

Hi Pat thank you for the advise i have actually sent for some vitamin e capsules, i cannot use the coconut oil it makes me worse i have tried it a few times.
  • Posted

I did a Google search on Lichen Sclerosus.  The Mayo Clinic has a good write up.  About treatment they say, along with seeing your doctor:

Corticosteroid ointments or creams are commonly prescribed for lichen sclerosus. Initially, you'll generally have to use cortisone creams or ointments on the affected skin daily. After several weeks, your doctor will likely recommend that you only use these medications twice a week to prevent a recurrence. Your doctor will monitor you for side effects associated with prolonged use of topical corticosteroids, such as thinning of the skin.

Other treatment options

If corticosteroid treatment doesn't work or if months of corticosteroid therapy are needed, other treatments your doctor may prescribe include:

Immune-modulating medications, such as tacrolimus (Protopic) and pimecrolimus (Elidel)

Ultraviolet light treatment, for nongenital areas

Topical sex hormones are sometimes prescribed to treat lichen sclerosus, but recent research suggests that these medications aren't as effective for this condition as the treatments above.

• Posted

I'm so sorry for your suffering. If you can get a prescription for triamcinolone cream, it will help the itching. It's a steroid cream used for genital problems. keep using the vagifem. I just started Estrace cream three nights ago. It's starting to help. But I don't have your other issue. Even some over the counter cortisone cream may help the itching. It's horrible sometimes.
  • Posted

Hello Jackie

There is something natural that I do every night to help ease my vaginal dryness. I went through menopause without any HRT or anything because my mother had breast cancer. What I do , is every night , I break open two capsuls of Vitimin E and squeeze the liquid out and rub it all up inside my private parts and around my prolapse bladder. There is lots of relief from the dryness and it is all natural. Just make sure you are not allergic to Vitimin E. Is there anyone else on this forum who has a prolapse? I can help with a solution for that as well. Blessings to you

Lynn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.