Vaginal dryness

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does any of you have dryness to the point you feel like you have a wad of cotton in your vagina? That may sound strange but I feel like I have a cotton ball in me, I'm 55 and still occasionally get a period.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dear Nancy

Yes, Atrophy is a nightmare, very painful. Try something like like Premeno suppositories, high in the vagina, they help to lubricate and can last 2 - 3 days. Keep the area moist - if you need to see your GP you can get topical oestrogen cream which will help, but I know a lot of women want or have to avoid hormone creams. I am also concerned that you. Do you have a dragging feeling? A feeling of heaviness? This sounds a bit like a prolpase - do get this checked out, because if it is the start of a prolapse you need to strengthen up your pelvic floor NOW before you get further deterioration. This is a common problem when we reach menopause because our oestrogen levels drop and our muscles loose elasticity and the ability to support.

Hope this help - please get it checked.

S

• Posted

I kind of feel that way - I'm 61 and -- yeah, I'm not sure what to do, if it's "normal" for this age or whether I should see a gynecologist.  It's so dry,  and it feels like slightly swollen and irritated.  Now it's like all day it feels like that, esp. when I sit all day at work in jeans or slightly tight pants..  it feels like I have a swollen area or growth right inside the clitoris or something - like a fleshy mound that is the source of the irritation and pain during sex...  I'd like to cut it right out!  Can't even have sex anymore. Let me know if you find out anything about this symptom, nancy092.  Not even sure we might have the same thing, but you seem to be a close as anyone describing my situation.  

• Posted

Oh dear Kell - Yes this is Vaginal Atrophy. There is help, keep the area moisturised. Watch your diet. Mine got so bad it hurt to walk, but careful managing and understanding will help. One clinician told me it can get so bad that internal examinations are not possible, because it promotes bleeding. - this isnt good as smears and routine exams are required. Please help with nutrition and see your GP of gynaecologist. Good luck, - PS kegel exercises also help as they keep the circulation flowing around the pelvic area.
    • Posted

Ugh,thanks Kegel8Stephanie, well I guess it's good to know it "is something" rather than wondering if it's just me.  I did get a prescription once for an estrogen creme but I sure wish they'd warned me about the cost because I flipped out in the Rite Aid when it came time to pay.  I didn't get it, but I should've I guess.  I have a good diet but what would inflame it, is there something?  I also wash my undies separately with a very mild natural soap, very little or no soap at all, obviously cotton only..  it still seems to get inflamed, especially lately, maybe the hot and humid weather.  Doing Kegels never hurts so I will do more of those, thanks for your help!  wink

• Posted

A simple moisturizer like Replens cured my problem, at least for now. Once a day in the morning and set for the day. I had so much trouble about 8 months ago (actually bled), but this took care of it. No hormones in it.
  • Posted

I am 44 and just started to have problems. Was very panicy and used sudocrem. Sorted out. Still will change GP and try to find answers. 

Thank you all for sharing your experience. 

Blessings 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.