Vaginal estrogens

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies

I have been taking vagifem for 6 months but I am not really comfortable taking it. The thing is I don't like taking chemicals and rather use a more natural source like coconut oil or calendula oil. My concern is cancer and would like some advice please. I plan to stop but know it does improve the tissue's after repairs.

Thankyou to the ladies that know me on here? happy healing everyone xx

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

• Posted

My understanding is vaginal estrogen is not absorbed systemically. I may be wrong though
    • Posted

Syrph you ate right but I have read that its just a small amount.do like anything chemical so will see how it goes.done so much research and have mixed reviews.
  • Posted

Steph is right that estriol in its topical cream form is a very small dose directed at specific area and as such is not or barely absorbed into blood stream.

General used 3 months on 1 month off and can stay on longer as long as dose cut down.

Must admit I have also avoided taking hormone based medicine that is until my thyroid malfunctioned. Like you was worried about cancer.

Anyway assured that vritually minimal/no risk of cancer.

I f you are really worried about any longterm risk talk to your GP.

I can now feel a big difference in my interior walls, feeling fuller and thicker, even the section of tissue that's was very tight and thin is much improved. Have now been using cream for 7 months minus the month off.

I have considered maybe coming off all together and trying 'vagisan' which is non hormone based moisturiser, but worried that my walls will just become thin again. Any will will discuss this with GP next visit.

Hope you get some answers that help you to make a better informed choice.

Phyl x

• Posted

Don't get much sense out of gp .all they say is its negligible that it causes anything serious. I have read amazing results from using organic pure coconut oil which I have been using. I really hate anything synthetic and chemical based. Thanks phylx

• Posted

I'm sure someone on here said that latest research showed that you could stay on it in the long term without need to take break without any adverse effects. But not looked into its myself.

Just had at theomen that it seems to be doing the job I need it to do and all is me to continue in my current employment. Just wus we were able to retire at 60 still as I don't see my repair being able to last in my line of work which can be heavy and difficult to protect.

Phyl x

• Posted

I know I can't keep doing this job gun. I need a sit down job without doubt.xx

• Posted

Hello!

I've used Vagifem twice a week for about 18 months, I also take daily HRT tablets. My GP doesn't seem concerned about it, I have a review coming up in the spring so I will ask him again. Hope you are ok. X

• Posted

Thanks my lovely..yes I'm OK thanks. Been working 4days this week. Shattered. Hope your OK love.xx lol

• Posted

I've used Vagifem for 6 years now and it is considered perfectly safe and a god send for so many women who find that due to the menopause they suffer vaginal atrophy and dryness. It is also extremely useful prior and following any gynae surgery but particularly pelvic floor prolapse. If it was considered risky your GP or consultant would have referred to the Department of Health guidelines that they are told to discuss thoroughly with every patient who is prescribed oral HRT or patches. They don't with Vagifem. You have had 1 failed repair so it's only sensible to continue with Vagifem. The earlier you use it prior to surgery the better. Natural sources such as coconut or calendula oils will offer very little if no protection. Using oils following surgery will only make the sutures and the tissues around the sutures soggy and could cause infection. At least you know Vagifem is sterile when inserted into the vagina.

• Posted

Hi matron,lovely to hear from you. Yes I will continue for a while as I have another repair to get through🙏🙏. My consultant told me he weill go a bit deeper into the fascia. Sounds like floorboards😂😂😂😂😂

• Posted

I know what you mean 😂 Vagifem will help you have successful surgery this time.

• Posted

Ahh that's sounds positive, thsnkyou matron, means a lot🙏. Does it strengthen tissues then matron? May be if I had taken it before,but was never told.😘

• Posted

It tends to thicken the the lining of the vaginal wall therefore strengthening it over time. It's difficult to say if it would have prevented your first repair from failing. I was fortunate and my urogynaecologist (who I worked with) diagnosed I had a thin vaginal wall and felt it was important that I used Vagifem for some months before he would repair my rectocele and cystocele repair.

• Posted

Yes matron your right, I will never know.all I can do is keerp positive. Been taking it since August now so it should do some good. My new urogynacologist seems up there with the best so I have a very good feeling about the one.🙏🙏🙏

• Posted

Hi matron,

I'm debating whether to use the ovestin estriol cream or use the vagifem. I have noticed the vagifem can take a couple ofvdays to dissolve. Would this be the case with the cream? Any advice please would be great. I haverhaver used the cream before but didn't like the applicator because I had to wash it each time and worried I wasn't washing it enough. I'm a germ phobic 😂😂😂

• Posted

Meant I have used cream before😄

• Posted

Know exactly what you mean about applicator, not easy to rinse it out properly!

• Posted

The Vagifem dissolves overnight when I use it. It's only a small pessary like a pill really and I've never heard it taking that long to dissolve. Your body heat helps it dissolve and absorb through the vaginal wall. I prefer the pessary to the cream, it's too messy and there is a risk although slight of infection.

• Posted

Last time I used it the following day I used some coconut oil and I could feel the pesserh quite soft and soggy so I was wondering. Thanks matron for your advice.. Hope your well hun😘

• Posted

I have to useboil sometimes as it takes away the feeling of that dreaded stuck tampon feeling,only slightly though😖

• Posted

That's unusual but it would probably dissolve with 24 hours. I must admit I don't check but I never see any evidence on my underwear. xx

• Posted

I wouldn't of know if I hadn't used coconut oil up my vsgina 😂😂😂 I never see anything on my knickers either so it must dissolve OK. I think next time I'll come back as a flower,

Or plant 😁😁😁 so much less pain and strife matron. Xx

• Posted

I didn't think the tablet form dissolved very quick either, when I was inserting the next one some residue from previous one would come out on the side the applicator. GP asked if I was inserting it high enough, I was certain I was but she moved me on to cream which although messy was better at elevating the nippy feeling from scar tissue.

X

• Posted

Hi phyl,

I'm glad it just not me😊 I noticed it if I used coconut oil the next day. I this I am putting it high up because I feel I can't go anymore😂😂Oh phyl love all this menopause stuff if too much sometimes. Hope your well hunxxx

• Posted

Hi welshgirl,

I'm fine thank you, I felt that I was inserting it as high as I could and it was a little tender, also had a discharge that was white, was worried about infection but usually if infection discharge would be cream so had to be the tablet not absorbing. GP checked for infection but was clear.

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.