Vaginal hysterectomy, sacrospinous fixation, anterior and posterior repair.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a vaginal hysterectomy, sacrospinous fixation, anterior and posterior repair on May 4th 2017. Prior to the operation I did have stress incontinence and leaking especially in certain sports, particularly horse riding! I'm 58 years old, post menopausal and am reasonably fit, I put off having surgery for years but once I plucked up the courage to speak to my GP was referred to a wonderful consultant who I have total faith in. I was told the surgery went well and am amazed at how little pain I've had, I'm trying to rest and be careful not to lift, I am walking everyday which is great, I'm missing my regular activities and am so frustrated that I can't garden! I'd happily be outside all day. ??Despite feeling little pain I'm concerned about a couple of things, I still seem to have loads of stitches, especially on the posterior repair, how long should these take to dissolve? I'm also really upset that I'm still leaking, I feel I'm not emptying my bladder fully and then when I walk and just have a slight jolt I feel the leak!

Has anyone had similar problems? I hope I'm just being impatient, three weeks and four days is very early in my recovery.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You've had quite a lot done. I only had an anterior repair & hysterectomy. I didn't have any leakage before the op which my surgeon said was unusual as I had quite a bad prolapse but I did leak afterwards. I can remember being quite upset as I thought something had gone wrong. They did various tests but all seemed to be ok & the leakage just seemed to stop soon after.

Do you have an appointment for a post op check?

• Posted

Thank you for replying, I don't have a follow up until August 12th, so a long wait. Your improvement gives me hope, I know things must have been moved about and I'm sure all will take time to settle! I just so hope the slight leaking will improve.

• Posted

Hi Sheila,

I had my surgery May 8th, I had a colpoplexy and posterior repair (hysterectomy and colpoplexy 17yrs ago and reprolapsed) I did not have incontinance and still don't but my surgeon said don't be worried if you do. It often happens between 2 and 4 weeks and resolves on its own. With all the work they've done your body is in shock and working hard to heal. There's swelling, sutures etc. Hopefully yours will resolve.

Take it easy and try not to worry. 

Pam

• Posted

Hi Pam. Thank you for your reassurance, with all my surgery performed internally I think it is hard to appreciate what has gone on inside! I feel so well and am in very little pain so I do need to let my body do it's stuff. I have been advised 'no pelvic floor exercises' for six weeks so hope once I can work on this I may see positive results. Fingers crossed; legs for now! 😳

• Posted

Hi Sheila. I had a SSF and posterior repair on May 8th so just over 3 weeks now. I too have some bladder leakage at times. Like if I wait too long, when I get out of bed and bladder's really full but not when sneezing coughing so I think it's more to do with the healing process, my vag muscles have to strengthen after the surgery and it's a bit too early for physio yet. I do try to hold and squeeze but so many stitches inside it's not really possible yet. I too like gardening but it's a no no this year at any rate. We have to be patient patients and hopefully the repairs will last longer. I believe the stitches used these days are supposed to be stronger and last longer. Take care, Poll x rolleyes

• Posted

The procedures you've had don't usually stop leakage. I had exactly same iOS as you but I also had the tvt to stop my leakage and have to say the tvt is the best thing I've had done. I'm supposed your consultant didn't tell you about this. May be worth asking about it when you go back for post op appt. you're still in very early days. I had stitches still at about 7 wks. It's very frustrating not being able to do stuff especially if an active person but I can assure you that in my experience the more you test up when healing the less chance of more prolapses. Listen to your body and dont over do it. Good luck with your healing. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.