Vaginal hysterectomy with anterior and posterior repair

Posted , 7 users are following.

about to have operation and just want to know how much help after operation I will need. I live alone so it is not going to be easy. any advice on recovery would be welcomed. am really nervous about whole thing.

thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jacquline

i had rectocyle and cyctocyle prolapse surgery with a vaginal repair and its tough for a little while afterwards so accept help where you can . i couldn't drive for weeks after the op and the advice was no lifting at all including hoover's or anything like that for 6 weeks . is there anyone that can stay with you for a few weeks

• Posted

Hi hun

I had tvh and anterior done last January and I sailed through it. I do know with all 3 being done it a little more painful.

You will need to do no housework for at least 6 weeks and after that limit lifting to a mimimum.

I was very nervou9 like yiu but it was no where near as bad lovr9.

Don't worry it will be all fine. Good luckxx

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline,I had posterior rectoenterocele ssf.I can understand you're concerns.and all that's already been said to you is good advice,to add to it.you will probably have difficult bowel movements for some time.make sure you drink plenty of water.eat plenty of fruit and veg.I took lactose. Or movical. prunes every morning in a smoothie(which I still have).I'm 70 so it took longer for me to recover.after a long 6 months I'm so glad I had op.still have minor bowel problems.which I can easily deal with.but as already been said you do need support.someone to look after you in the early weeks.try not to fret.we're all here to help and encourage you take care and REST rest and more rest.xx

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline. the surgeons always seem to say 6 weeks but this is the minimum time in my opinion. I was told to wait for 4 months minimum before I resumed 'normal' duties. A lot depends on your age and lifestyle. If you live alone you could try asking Social Services if you qualify for any assistance in the home, like cleaning. I'm 75+ and didn't get much help! I have a home help I pay for myself, I do my shopping online and have it delivered. Laundry, you should not lift anything heavy like clothes baskets, I waited at least 6 weeks but rinsed a few things at a time and dried on a clothes horse indoors so I didn't have to lug heavy stuff about. If you have any friends or family you should ask for some help if that's possible. Hope you recover well, just be careful and listen to your body, it's rarely wrong! I agree with REST rest and more rest until you are fully healed inside. (Your doctor or Practice nurse can tell you that if you don't have a post op appointment to check.)

• Posted

thanks for this. my surgeon has said it will be a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks, so it does appear to be a long job. am trying to arrange for support for when I return home, but I can see it all being difficult. thanks for advice.

• Posted

Best advice I can give is forget housework and bending for 6 weeks as this us the crucial time for strong scar tissue.

The recovery was much better than I expected. All the best

• Posted

I just thought I would update you on my progress. Had the operation for vaginal hysterectomy plus anterior and posterior repair on the 26th February so am now around four weeks post operation. I was sore for a few days at first and rather woozy from the anaesthetic and medications given during the operation for about five days too. And yes I was rather tired for around two weeks, but since then have been recovering well. I was lucky in that a friend came and stayed for a week and ensured I didn't do a thing. Plus I also have had a carer come in each morning for two hours each day to assist with 'personal care' and make my breakfast, prepare lunch, and do some light housework. She drew the line at cleaning windows, but washing, ironing, using the hoover and dusting, plus cleaning the bathroom, and leaving the kitchen in a good state each day has been part of her routine. So all in all I have had a lot of help over this period. She finishes with me this week as I don't really need 'personal care' any longer.

My actual recovery has gone well and I have continued with the exercises as detailed by the physiotherapist in hospital as well as going out for walks most days. Have tried going further each day so that I am getting a fair amount of exercise. And since I live near buses have occasionally walked a fair way, and got a bus home after.

I have been very careful to ensure I have proper BMs each day and for the first two weeks took lactulose religiously as well as having prunes, dates, figs, and plenty of other fruit and vegetables along with drinking lot of water. I haven't experienced any real problems in that area. I do find I need to go to the toilet as soon as I feel the urge and unfortunately am waking up during the night to to do a wee. That could be because I am drinking a lot more than I used to.

As for pain, I haven't had any real pain or any aching feelings to talk about and very soon stopped taking pain medication as I didn't need it. I actually feel a bit of a fraud as there is nothing to show for my having had this major surgery and I do feel I could do more. But, I am following the advice given by everyone, and doing very little beyond directing others to do things for me. I see the surgeon again early in April, and hope he will allow me to drive again as I am finding it frustrating not being able to hop into my car.

This message is just to say that sometimes things do go well. Obviously it is still early days for me and I will try not to rush into all my normal activities. It is difficult to remember not to do them. Thanks for reading this message; just thought I would let you know that many of my worries and concerns, haven't materialised. Hope all goes well with others in the same situation.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.