Vaginal hysterectomy with anterior & posterior repair

Posted , 6 users are following.

This recovery has been so much harder than I had anticipated. I am 3.5 weeks post-op and doing better. The first 2 weeks were brutal...in fact, the most pain i have ever felt. 

I am still having to cath regularly (not every time but still daily.) I’m starting to get nervous about the long term with that...

I am taking miralax every evening and cola every ever morning to keep things moving through easily. I had a little trouble with coffee (decaf and half caf) so I’m steering clear for now. Taking ibuprofen several times a day and warm epsom salt baths. My surgeon says to walk as much as possible, and not to stop until I’m about to drop. I’ve read on other people’s posts that they are resting. Wonder who’s right?

I am trying not to wallow in sadness about not being able to lift my youngest child (8months.) it’s very hard. Anyone else in the same boat?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Bless your heart, 38momof3, 

It will get better, I promise you.  Yes, it is intensely painful for the first few weeks.  I have had all of the above, but not at the same time.  You will get through this- I, too, questioned why in the world did I get this repair?  But now, I am so happy that I did.  

I am pain free from the surgery.  I have no more urinary stress incontinence that I suffered with for 20 years after delivering two big babies.  

My rectocele and perineum was repaired at the same time this past July, along with a sling operation.  Thought I was gonna die.  Couldn't take the hydrocodone for pain because it stowed me up something fierce.  

I take stool softener and Metamucil daily, and doing well.  

Blessings to you - hang in there with love from Texas...

• Posted

Thank you Sherry11721!

I love to hear upbeat stories of recovery! I’m 9 weeks post op now. I still and having those twinging pains some. I feel weight in my lower abdomen. And i still feel like my posture/walking is back to where it was. Even my breathing and laughter has been adjusted to accommodate this abdominal discomfort and the discomfort in my vagina. Nervous to death about sex. 

On another note, can we ride bikes after recovery? I wonder when it’s ok to start riding or take spinn class...

• Posted

Hello

poor you, this sounds hard. You’re allowed to feel sad, especially about not lifting your baby. This was not what you had planned as a mum, I’m sure! Sometimes it takes less energy to feel sad than to try to cheer yourself up, so just let it be. It will pass in time. 

Im two weeks post op for  anterior repair plus hysterectomy. I’ve been lucky that the pain has been manageable but also struggling with bowels. The fibregel causes me wind still, which is not nice. The surgeon and physio insisted that I rest lots, but also ‘potter’ and take short walks. I’m up to 10 min walks then I need to rest. I can see that being active helps with bowels but I think he is right about plenty of rest too. It’s major surgery and your body needs time to heal. I’m surprised to hear that you need to keep going ‘till you drop’, this is certainly not what I’ve been told. 

I hope you’re feeling better soon. Take care.

best wishes 

sue

• Posted

You can find post op advice at the top of the forum page under useful resources, the south tees is very good.

All based on the latest research.

X

• Posted

It’s been 7 months since surgery. I’m still not completely healed. At my incision points the tissue is grandulation tissue and it’s open & bleeding. Sex is intensely painful. They have started me on an oral estrogen-like drug, Osphena, to try and build up the tissue. I’m having my first of a series of silver nitrate treatments in the morning. I’m so scared about the pain. Anyone else deal with this? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.