Vaginal irritation

Posted , 4 users are following.

About 5 weeks ago, I began having vaginal bleeding after intercourse that persisted for three weeks and then stopped (brownish, very small amount--after 5 years of being in menopause).  Upon examination, a cervical polyp that had been there before was gone.  I am having a uterine biopsy in a few days but in the interim, I started using a vaginal moisturizer that was recommended here with some help in the irritation.  I then used yogurt because of the good bacteria and noticed a big improvement.  Still, there is some irritation and pain with intercourse but better.  We'll see what the biopsy says and if all is clear, I want to begin using topical estrogen.  Anyone else had something similar??

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Which issue are you asking about? I had a cervical polyp that was removed during an office visit years ago. Nothing since.

Everyone commenting here on vaginal atrophy has the same issue re discomfort and is trying various methods to deal with it. I have been using vit E capsules once or twice a week myself and have been reluctant to use hormone cream.

Have a sister with estrogen driven stage 4 breast cancer.

• Posted

My polyp wasn't removed...I think that it was the thing that caused the bleeding.  I have had concurrent vaginal atrophy diagnosed 2 years ago that hasn't been treated until I used the suggestions (water based moisturizer and yogurt) in the article on this site about it.  I am reluctant to use estrogen; it was the only thing they gave me 2 years ago to try and I didn't.  
  • Posted

Guess you had your polyp removed the natural way ;-)

So you've changed your mind about the estrogen and will try it? Will be curious to see how you make out.

• Posted

Hi Joy 

I am post menopause 22 months ..  Age 51 

Did you mean your post menopause or 5 years being in peri menopause ..

I wont and dont take HRT ..

but..... I use Ovestinon vaginal Ovules ( Estriol weakest kindest eatrogen) and ovestinon / ovestin  cream for outer skin as the discomfort was terrible for me like sitting on a prickly hedgehog ..

i do have very good private well woman checks annually and Gyno suggested a bit of Estriol in Ovule form inernally and cream form for outer bits as they dry and split especially during intimate times sometimes..

i halve the ovules while still in wrapping and use only one weekly in total, i have been using for almost 11 months and what a difference.. They plump, hydrate and make all good again, and take the dryness off the urethra inside.

i have been fine on it and due another annual check in a few weeks, where i get a transvaginal scan and see uterine thickness which is 3.1mm and ovaries, and Colposcopy to check cervical cells and smear and 3D breast scan.

Gyno said a little Estriol is needed to prevent pain and reverse the problem, and the ovestinon vaginal Ovules are opague in colour and non messy, feel very silky smooth the cream form can also be used internally, but it was suggested to be used twice weekly on outer skin to plump.

some women and clinics use estriol for face wrinkles.. 

I have been fine using vaginally, i was terrified at first but as Gyno reassured me it doesnt enter the blood stream, or breast or oral tablet then it doesnt pass liver either ..it simply reverses the dryness and plumps where needed..

i couldnt live without it, my scan showed non functioning ovaries post menopause and a normal post meno uterine thickness so i tried it ..

i too have a mild uterine prolapse he noticed and it helps that and also like you a cervical polyp just inside cervix which causes no problems as yet.

good luck joy 

jay x 

• Posted

Hi Jay!

thanks for sharing your experience. I have been in actual menopause for 5 years (periods stopped at 50, so technically 4 years...). Good to hear how you use the ovestinon. Estriol is the best choice I've read. I'm in the U.S. so I hope I can get it here in the ovule. 

Just correcting the vaginal flora with the yogurt has helped but I need more assistance :-) 

• Posted

Hello Joy 

not sure if you can get in where you are..

theres also Gynest cream ..

steer clear of Premarin, Prempak C etc PREM = pregant Mares Urine ..

its equine and no way would i go there .. ( personal opinion ) each to their own of course ..

Estriol is the weaker and safest if you decide to try ..

some ladies use pessaries hard white bitty things, they are not soothing like these Ovules ... These are waxy smooth and lovely 😃

Have a lovely weekend 

hot hot hot here phewwwwww ( southern spain ) 

jay x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.