Vaginal pessary for prolapse. A good thing?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had an operation for a prolapse 9 years ago and now I think I may have another one.  I spoke to my practice nurse today - I see the doctor next week - and she mentioned that some women prefer being fitted with a pessary rather than having surgery.

The gynaecologist I saw 9 years ago felt it was better just to go for the operation and, at the time, I was happy to do this.  I'm now 70 and, particularly as I've just had an operation for my arthritis, I'm not very keen on more surgery.

Have others been prescribed a pessary?  How comfortable are they?  Any problems?  How often do they have to be changed?

I'd be really pleased to hear of other people's experiences.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Yes a pessary is worth trying. i had a hystectomy and anterior repair in 2014. i am 57 years old.

​the prolapse came back and i now have a gellhorn pessary. it took trying 3 different types of pessary to get the right one. ( ing, shelf cube then then eventually for me Gellhorn)

​but is is comfy and i can take it out myself as my hubby and i are still sexually active (occasionally).

​but otherwise they need cleaing and checking every 6 months or so which can be done by health professional.

​i still find it hard to stand for long preiods but on the whole am fine and on a good day can do an 8 mile walk!

hope you get sorted!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, Ruth.  That all sounds really good.  When you say it took 3 different tries to find the right one, in what way were the others unsuitable?  Fit?  Comfort?

If I decide to go for one, does that mean I'll be able to do an 8 mile walk too?  Very impressed!

• Posted

hi always seems it s trial and error to find the best fit. the ring pessary is the simplet but that was not strong enough for me. The cube and shelf pessary that i tried were not comfortable.

search on the internet there are various sites which give good information and help you to understand it better are you in the UK?

• Posted

Yes, I am Ruth.  I'll have a look round and find out more about the different types.  Thanks for that.

• Posted

The doctor at the hospital 1st thought my GP could change it but was told by hospital that I have to return to them , could be different hospitals have different prosedures. They come in different sizes I was told if it's too small it'll fall out but if too big would be uncomfortable. Hope this helps

• Posted

I have a pessary fitted I can't even feel it. They have to be changed every 3 months.

• Posted

I have had 5 unsuccessful prolapse operations, and due to on going physical and emotional challenges, a pessary has been suggested for me, so this info is of interest. It is something I have a bit of a barrier against, but I think that's to do with my own issues dealing with the prolapse. (I'm only 28)

It's reassuring to read that it has helped some of you.

• Posted

I had a hysterectomy as I had a prolapsed womb but then four years later developed a prolapsed bladder, the surgeon recommended I had a pessary which he fitted which was very uncomfortable and it stopped me passing water and I ended up in A&E having a catheter fitted. I then had the operation to control the bladder with a mesh sling. I would go for the operation rather than the pessary but it depends on wether you feel this is right for you. We are all different and what is good for one may not be good for another. I would say give it a try to see if it helps for you. Good luck X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.