Vaginal Progesterone NOT LICENSED!!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am progesterone intolerant and these sites have been recommended that I take the progestrone, part of my HRT, vaginally.   I have read that taking it this way cuts down on a lot of the side effects. Was really looking forward to starting these as I am not coping on the oral Progesterone Utrogestan 100.  Was told by the docotor that Cyclogest, and Utrogestan Supposotories are not licensed for Menopause and they cannot give them to me!!!   I am a mess right now

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you might be in the UK.  Many women have side effects with oral progesterone, and yes, the vaginal route is tolerated better.  

Besides compounded vaginal progesterone, there is also a commercially licensed product Crinone, (4 % or 8%) in the US. Studies have shown this product to protect the uterus while on estrogen.   I have also been given Prometrium to be used vaginally (typically a product taken orally)  

The vaginal route has a better uptake, and not lost by the liver, as oral products are.  

When you say you are progesterone intolerant, I think this is really indicating that your estrogen isn't high enough to off set it's effects.  Just a guess.  But when I got my estrogen up to a more normal level, the progesterone actually felt good.     

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Gailannie.  Yes I am in the UK.    I was taking 3 pumps of Estradiol Oestrogen with 2 x 100mg of Utrogestan.  Two days ago I read that i could reduce the progesterone so I only took 1 x 100mg with the 3 pumps of Oestogen, I felt absolutley fine the next day, happy with no anxiety.  I saw the dococtor yesterday who said that to be safe I should reduce my Oestrogen by 1 pump if only take 1 Progesterone capsule, so I did and  today I feel awful, anxiety and headaches back.  I am at a loss of what to do next.
    • Posted

The entire reason for taking the progesterone is to protect your uterus.  In that respect, it would seem that vaginal delivery might be beneficial.  

Studies have shown that the vaginal cream in a tube applicator (Crinone 4%) does protect the uterine lining using it every other day for 14 days of the cycle.  

You might consider talking to your physician about vaginal use, as it may not have as strong of s systemic feeling as the oral, yet will protect your uterus for an over grown lining.  

Just know that the reduction you made in with the progesterone could have as much to do with how you are feeling as the estrogen.  If you can get a handle on that issue it might help.  And that is always the tricky part.  Is it too much or too little estrogen, as well as too much or too little progesterone.  Usually 1 day isn't quite long enough to figure out your pattern.  And changes themselves in amounts can cause some problems. 

• Posted

Thank you Gailannie, your advice is much appreciated. I will be seeing my GP next week Tuesday.  I am not sure about the Crinone here, but will ask.  

I have decided to up the Oestrogen  to 3 pumps again and I am going to take just 100mg of the Progesterone tonight as I cannot face another day with anxiety and headaches all day. I will continue like this until I see my GP on Tuseday.   

• Posted

👍🏼 hope you feel better tomorrow.

Please let us all know how you're doing & what your doc says.

• Posted

Hi Gailannie, 

My female and also in Menopause GP described for me Utrogestan 200mg pessaries.   I started using them 5 days ago.  So far so good. I will let you know how they are working after 3 months.

Take good care x

• Posted

LOL  I should know what pessaries are, but right now I don't.  So how are you taking the estrogen?  And how is it feeling?    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.