Vaginal prolapse

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been examined by my GP and am waiting for hospital appointment for gynae clinic for a vaginal prolapse. Has anyone had to use one of the devices used to hold everything back in place and if so how was that? or have you just gone straight to surgery for repair. I am getting recurrent water infections and can feel the prolapse on the outside, i'm also suffering with stress incontinence which is worse than ever and have been put on HRT patches as i had a hysterectomy but my overies were left in years ago, but my overies have stopped working and i need the oestrogen boost.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi Susan

I've had prolapse repair x 2. Last was May 2018. Ur obviously not having any more babies so I would think surgery would be the best and more permanent option 4 u. my doctor said the pessary option is really reserved for patients who want 2 have more babies. Make sure u c a pelvic floor physio. She can help u with exercises 2 strengthen ur pelvic floor and help with the stress incontinence. Good luck 😉

• Posted

I had a posterior prolapse two years ago and an anterior repair done last Tuesday. When I saw the consultant he told me the options and one of them was the pessary. I did not like the idea at all so I went for the surgery option.I had my op last Tuesday and was sent home to rest on Thursday unfortunately with a catheter still attached. They had removed it on second day but I was still retaining urine even though passing good amounts. They scanned me after passing urine to check. I have to go back in a couple of days for them to check again. The op has been painful but not as bad as the posterior repair last time. I hope you get your appointment soon and then you can decide which way to go

• Posted

Hi, yes I had a pelvic floor repair about 7 years ago, I was in hospital for 6 days but had no problems after that. I wasn't allowed to drive for a while and had to be careful about straining due to constipation, but otherwise not a huge problem.

I didn't need any devices or medication, just pain relief for a few days after surgery.

I don't think its quite the same thing as you are describing but similar, I was given a very quick referral to surgery by my GP and didn't need to take eostrogen or HRT either.

I hope you can get your problem fixed quickly, good luck.

• Posted

I had 5 x surgery which failed plus an undo of one procedure and to avoid more surgery they decided to try a pessary. Unfortunately, it just didn't work; painful, caused infection, cause more stress (was only 29). However, I do believe that once a patient finds one the is the right fit, it can prove very helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.